What could a benchtop 10x18 lathe be?

I answered an ad for a $150 metal lathe today, and am trying to decide if it's worth a trip. The guy can't provide any details, but says it's an older American benchtop model, 10x18 (but who knows), and has some tooling.

If his measurements are right, anything common spring to mind?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Are you sure about the 18? Sounds like that would be a bed length of some sort, but US machines are spec'd by the *entire* bed length. It may be that he's giving you the center-to-center distance.

Common older US machines of 10 inch swing include Atlas, SB 10K and 10L, and Logans.

For 150 bucks you probably should look at it. Bonus points for extra tooling!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Reply to
Richard Hanley

I know what the measurements mean, I was trying to find a lathe that was sold with those dimensions, it wasn't very common-sounding to me.

Oh yeah, the fellow got back to me and told me he gave it to someone else. Right in the middle of working out a trade with this guy. The new owner said it was a Sheldon 10x20, mystery solved.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

OUCH! I'd be a basket case if I missed a deal like that. But the lathe could be a basket case, at that price.

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken G.

I try not to get worked up about stuff like this these days. Too many hours spent chasing iron that didn't go anywhere. I still have that three-pages-from-the-Atlas-lathe-catalog I bought for $200, so I'm happy.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4