gun supressor

What is the best design, baffles or stainless steel mesh packings? What about "wet" designs?

Reply to
HÃ¥ken Hveem

There are several very good books on firearm suppresor design. I read all of the available ones while going to gunsmithing school. The most effective are the baffle designed based on Maxim's original idea, but to work best they require a ported barrel that runs the entire interior length of the suppressor.

For a classic "screw on" design made with baffles, you need to use an aligning rod to make sure the inside edges of the baffles are as close as possible to the bore of the barrel without interfering with the bullet path. The same thing applies to using a mesh design. A fellow in New orleans makes suppressors for various gov. agencies and he uses baffles seperated by mesh donuts. He uses an aligning rod to align the baffles to the bore, and he uses a "endwipe".

An endwipe is a greased felt washer at the exit of the suppressor. The bullet literally squeezes throughthe hole in the end wipe, sealing the gasses inside for a fraction of a second. Endwipes are controversial because if not installed perfectly they will throw off accuracy quite a bit.

All mesh designs have to be cleaned after each use as the unburnt powder residue tends to saturate the mesh, reducing efficiency.

The simplest suppressors are just a can of metal mesh with a ported barrel or slightly oversized tube down the center. They work, but not as well as baffle designs. They are much easier to make.

The entire point of a suppressor is to trap exanding gasses and delay their exit until they have dropped below a supersonic velocity. The bigger the can, the better they work.

I came up with a design at school to make an asymetrical suppressor that would allow use of an oversized can without impeding use of 6he factory sights.

I decided not to make mine since I don't really want to see the interior of a federal prison.

The BATF have no sense of humor.

If you do some reading you will see the pictures of the Maxim Suppresor that Maxim made for the US army to be fitted to 105 MM howitzers.

BTW there are 3 famous Maxims in the gun industry. One made machine guns (Sir Hiram S. Maxim) , one made suppressors ( Hiram P. Maxim, his son) and one made smokeless amunition (Hudson Maxim, his brother).

One hell of a family.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hiram P(ercival) Maxim - also the founder of the American Radio Relay League IIRC.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

He originally invented suppressors so that ladies could shoot handguns without all that uncivilized noise.

Mind you the lasting contribution it made was car mufflers.

BTW Hiram P. Maxim died in LaJunta CO, about 60 miles from where I went to gunsmithing school.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

But they *will* sell you a license and tax stamp to make and possess a silencer. That makes you legal (assuming there isn't a state or local law against it in your area).

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Ok, as i understand the best design is the baffled ones, but how are these baffled formed? Are they stamped from 1.5 mm stainless steel , or milled?

Here in Norway , the maximum penalty of jail time ( if you were cautght making or possesing an homemade or non registered firearm are 3 months ) If you are wery lucky , they just take it away from you and medt it down to nails.

"Gary Coffman" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
HÃ¥ken Hveem

1.5 mm SS sounds really thick for the pressures involved, and aluminum might be better from a thermal transfer standpoint. Stamping is great if your production run is long enough; for short runs turning on a lathe might be easier is wasteful of chips.
Reply to
Nick Hull

I would think aluminum's rather large thermal coefficient of expansion would suggest a different material would be best.

Reply to
John Keeney

HH> Ok, as i understand the best design is the baffled ones, but how are these HH> baffled formed? HH> Are they stamped from 1.5 mm stainless steel , or milled?

HH> Here in Norway , the maximum penalty of jail time ( if you were cautght HH> making or possesing an homemade or non registered firearm are 3 months ) If HH> you are wery lucky , they just take it away from you and medt it down to HH> nails.

You are wrong. It may be up to 4 years. But you don't need a license to buy a silencer, you only need to register when you buy it.

Lov om skytevåpen og ammunisjon m.v.

Kapittel VIII. Straff, inndragning m.v.

§ 33. Den som forsettlig eller grovt uaktsomt overtrer bestemmelser gitt i eller i medhold av denne lov, straffes med bøter eller fengsel i inntil 3 måneder, hvis ikke overtredelsen rammes av et strengere straffebud. Gjelder overtredelsen § 27 b annet ledd eller ulovlig innføring, avhendelse, erverv eller besittelse av skytevåpen eller ammunisjon, kan bøter eller fengsel i inntil 2 år anvendes.

Er overtredelse som nevnt i første ledd annet punktum grov, kan bøter eller fengsel i inntil 4 år anvendes. Ved avgjørelsen av om overtredelsen er grov, skal det særlig legges vekt på hva slags og hvor mange våpen overtredelsen gjelder eller om handlingen av andre grunner er av særlig farlig eller samfunnsskadelig art.

Medvirkning straffes på samme måte.

Endret ved lover 23 juni 1978 nr. 69, 5 juni 1998 nr. 35, 1 juni 2001 nr. 27 (i kraft 1 juni 2001 iflg. res. 1 juni 2001 nr. 561).

HH> "Gary Coffman" skrev i melding HH> news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... >> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:38:51 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler HH> wrote: >> >I came up with a design at school to make an asymetrical suppressor >> >that would allow use of an oversized can without impeding use of 6he >> >factory sights. >> >

Reply to
Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen