What cutting oil for reaming brass?

I need to ream about 100 .307 dia holes in brass. I am using a 6 flute hand reamer guided by a bushing removing about .012 in on the diameter. What
cutting oil should I be using? Jim
Jim Dincau wrote:

I was taught to ream brass dry.
GWE
JD,
Reaming allowance of .012" for a .307" dia. hole is too much. Reduce it to 1/2 that or even a little less. This is for hand reaming. Machine reaming is a different animal.
Are you sure you have a hand reamer? These have a long taper that does the cutting. Hence the small amount left to ream to keep the chips short and the turning effort reasonable.
Hand reaming of brass can be done dry; but I use COOL TOOL II for drilling and reaming most metals.
Wolfgang
Jim Dincau wrote:

Jim, which alloy brass?? 360 free machining do it dry. Red brass (common sheet, pipe, etc) use dark cutting oil. Any tough alloy brass benifits from cutting oil. RichD