What does a good gib and adjuster look like?

Hi. I have one of those Chinese mini-mills. I know it has its shortcomings but I just tinker around in my garage so it is OK for me. However, the gibs seem hard to adjust... but since I don't have a real machine to compare it to, I don't know how bad it is. I would potentially like to improve the gibs and adjustment screws if possible. Could some one send a picture or describe how the gibs adjusters work on a nice quality machine?

The Chinese mini-mill has gib strips with small dimples in them. The gib adjustment set screws are pilot dog set screws that ride in those dimples. Pretty simple. Unfortunately, for some reason, the gibs tend to tilt and only a thin strip comes in contact with the opposing dovetail instead of staying parallel to the opposing dovetail and having the entire gib strip act as a wear area. I hope that makes sense and I look forward to hearing how the good machines do this.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary H

Gary, are you sure the jibs aren't turned over? The "only a thin strip comes in contact with the opposing dovetail instead of staying parallel to the opposing dovetail" comment may indicate the jibs are in upside-down.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

That sounds like you want to torque the set screws evenly to about 5 to

10 inch pounds. This is the system used on some larger machines rather than having the gib sliding in and letting the taper take up the slack. Normally, the set screws have locking nuts on them.

John

Reply to
john

They only go in one way so they aren't turned over. I wish it was that simple.

Reply to
Gary H

Here is an idea you could try but I should mention that I have not tried it.

Remove the adjusting screws, if they have a pointed end replace them with grub screws that have a cuplike end. Find small steel balls that fit into the screw holes. Tightening the screw onto the steel ball should transfer the horizontal force into an angled force to push the gib flat against the slide.

It might or might not do the trick, as I said, its an idea ..... Klaus

Gary H wrote:

Reply to
az_100

Connelly's _Machine Tool Reconditioning_ describes the universe of gib designs and their advantages.

Consider making a thinner gib with epoxied-on Teflon facing. This will take precision scraping skills that you can also learn from Connelly. You will have buttery soft movement with better rigidity, lubrication, and alignment. Cf. "Bondable PTFE" at mscdirect.com.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Check out the guides on littlemachineshop.com They have a new mini-mill user guide available for download.

Also this is a section on adjusting the gigs for the mini-lathe, but it's the same manufacturer, so it might help:

Bruce Barnett