What end mill for engraving (high speed)

I am getting closer to having a high speed spindle (Bosch 1617EVS router). I have to make an adaptor plate, and I am almost done with
coding.
Anyway, as far as using it goes, I want to engrave text, like on panels and such. What sort of end mill would you recommend. Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 27, 12:21 pm, Ignoramus31855 <ignoramus31...@NOSPAM. 31855.invalid> wrote:

The ones I've seen have been second-cousin to a D-bit. Look like a scratch awl tip stoned in half. Guy Lautard had some tips on how to make one along with engraving pantograph drawings, see The Machinist's Bedside Reader series.
Stan
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:

Maybe the diagram here would be useful http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Engraving-Cutters
Add pictures here
✖

Yep, I will definitely try those, got some on ebay. I will try to use them with the Bosch router, I am getting ready to make the mounting adaptor plate.
✖
Ignoramus31855 wrote:

You generally do not use end mills for engraving, you use single flute engraving cutters.
Visit http://www.2linc.com for a lot of info on engraving as well as engraving bits. I used a carbide bit from them for my pano-bracket project and it worked well, even at ~2,500 RPM in my CNC'd mini mill. They came in 3 pks, so I could bring you one when I come up in a few weeks.
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks. Nice website. I am on it right now. I will hopefully engrave with a Bosch router, and I would like to run them at 15k RPM or more.
✖
Ignoramus31855 wrote:

One tip: Get your base mill finished and debugged before going off on tangents like high speed spindles. Sort out your mystery limit switch trips, figure out your spindle encoder since you'd likely use use tapping more than engraving, etc.
Add pictures here
✖

I agree totally.
✖
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:21:49 -0500, Ignoramus31855

=========Lots of suppliers. Two common types split point and pyramid
see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYLtL1R440E
http://www.2linc.com / http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE9&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEMa9-1266 http://www.aliexpress.com/store/501452/209620624/cnc-engraving-tool.html http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ONSRUD-Engraving-Tool-4KPJ3 http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t3263 http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=engraving+bit
-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:21:49 -0500, Ignoramus31855

Most that I've seen for engraving are vee cutters, some with flats on the end.
eBay has solid carbide vees for cheap: http://fwd4.me/bHc 5 for $11.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Add pictures here
✖

I just bid, don't outbid me.
karl
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:16:54 -0500, Karl Townsend

Silly rabbit. Had you checked, you'd have found that you could do a BIN for -ten- of 'em from another guy for under $18. Maybe you'll luck out and be outbid after all. ;)
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Add pictures here
✖

Guys, what is a good angle for them? 90%? 60%?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:37:33 -0500, Ignoramus5734

Yes! Oh, you meant degrees, not percent, right? It depends on the depth of cut and thickness of the sheet. Do you want fine writing or bold? 60 is good for deeper cuts, 90 for shallower. What font are you going to use, what application, etc., Ig?
The correct answer is "It depends."
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Add pictures here
✖

I've bought from these folks and been happy with the product:
http://bitsbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4
Here's an example of an engraving made in acrylic with one of their bits:
http://memweb.newsguy.com/~mphenry/LogoEngraveTestFinal.JPG
Mike
Add pictures here
✖
Mike Henry wrote:

Your slide rule doesn't have a log scale. :-) I don't suppose most people will recognize it anyway. ...lew...
Add pictures here
✖

    Well ... actually the "log" scale on a slide rule is linear, as all the other scales are either logarithmic or more extreme (e.g. the log-log scales).
    So -- based on that, the engraved slide rule has two "log" scales on the body -- and *no* scales on the slide.
    Also -- it is missing a cursor. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
✖
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Cursor? That's someone who doesn't know how to use a slide rule. ;-)
enough left over to pay them.
✖
On Aug 27, 1:21 pm, Ignoramus31855 <ignoramus31...@NOSPAM. 31855.invalid> wrote:

Plasma / or laser - only way to engrave nowadays. So hook a laser head up to your Bport EMC2? why not?
Don't waste your time with cutters - its too labor intensive. duh.......... THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX (never heard that one eh?) Geeze you gotta computer controlled ZYX machine why not go out on a limb & do something spectacular? Hell EDM attachment also to burn out broken shit. geeze come on man. see the forest thru the trees here now.
--
___ ___
/ /\ / /\
cncmillgil wrote: