Wood router duty cycle?

I am considering to use a Bosch Colt wood "palm router" (or even a bigger wood router) as a high speed spindle for milling small detail
on my CNC mill.
Kind of like this:
http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/OthersProjects/Tools/CoolantManifold_1.jpg
When I talked about it somewhere, somebody said that it cannot survive this for long due to poor cooling, and that it will never have the duty cycle as needed on a CNC machine.
For me, say, 4 minutes on/6 minutes off would probably work out okay, as the speed of the cutter enables me to complete typical milling jobs quickly.
But still, the duty cycle question is important.
So: what do you think is the duty cycle on these and how much could they take before they overheat?
✖

I know that the head on one of my vendors' CNC router - by itself - cost over $700.00. It is rated for 5000 hrs continuous duty at 45KRPM before requiring a bearing overhaul -- which is a factory-only job.
They claim it's good for five re-builds, minimum, if the chuck is never crashed into the work.
This "head" isn't a router in the conventional sense. It's just a motor with mount pads and a collet-style chuck on a fairly short shaft. Nothin' much to look at. But it's virtually silent running at 40K under no load. It runs on a dedicated speed controller, and is purportedly a multi-phase motor. The controller was extra $$, and misbehaved badly for speed regulation and control until swapped out twice by the factory rep.
Don't remember the brand, but it's the one the ShopSabre folks recommend for the machine.
LLoyd
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 19, 8:32 am, Ignoramus12820 <ignoramus12...@NOSPAM. 12820.invalid> wrote:> For me, say, 4 minutes on/6 minutes off would probably work out okay,

I would guess that 4 minutes on and 6 minutes off would be no problem. Not familar with the Bosch but I think all routers have a cooling fan.
Dan
Add pictures here
✖

Should only cost you about $100 to find out, buy one and see how it holds up.
Add pictures here
✖
Probably ok for continuous shallow duty. Notwithstanding, for 100 bucks how can you go wrong? You have 10x that in the holder/bracket and that great camera. Don't sweat it; if it blows up get a PC 690, known to run forever at medium duty levels. ********************************************************************************************************** http://patwarner.com/ Router Woodworking *******************************************************************
On Aug 19, 5:32 am, Ignoramus12820 <ignoramus12...@NOSPAM. 12820.invalid> wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Why not use a Speeder? One of those BP doo-hickeys that uses gears and belts to triple the spindle speed.
Add pictures here
✖

I did not find any speeder that would cost what I can pay and would fit my spindle in some way (NMTB 30 or straight shank). Otherwise a speeder would be nice.
✖
Ignoramus12820 wrote:

How about this one http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Speed_Increaser.html . I Don't know what it would cost to ship to the US or if any US firms stock it already.
Add pictures here
✖

I see the router setup to be a better way to go. The referenced speeder is rated for only 9000 rpm output. Most newer CNC mills will do 10000 stock. Another is that is a kit.
Add pictures here
✖

Seems like some kind of a homemade contraption to me.
The router would go from 8,000 to 25,000 RPM.
✖
CW wrote:

Valid comments but I posted the information as an affordable 3x speeder was mentioned and IIRC Iggys mill has a 2.5krpm max spindle. It was put forward for consideration and any decision would then be at the discretion of the purchaser who has the choice of investigating the suitability of the kit further for themselves.
Personally I'd be tempted to try the router route as I already have a variable speed router which can also double as an electric die grinder. As the other router mentioned it has a cylindrical mounting boss simplifying the mounting aspect.
Add pictures here
✖
wrote: SNIP

10,000 RPM is becoming a standard in new VMC's used in tool & die shops, even on fairly large units. Speeds to 40,000RPM have been available for while, at some expense.
It will be interesting to see what spindle speed changes have been become available over the last 2 years. At IMTS2008, there was a demo of one running at 120,000 RPM. It was surfacing at incredible IPM's. Cutting was dry of course, but a rrrrreeeeeeally large refrigeration unit was cooling the head, spindle, and column. Hard to see any chips flying, more like "dust", but interesting to watch.
I wonder what will we see at IMTS2010 net month?
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
Add pictures here
✖
Hey All,
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my fellow Canadians.
And Happy Columbus Day to all my US friends and Family.
It's Turkey Day here, and the pumpkin pie looks great!!
Take care. Have a great day.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario
Add pictures here
✖
Brian Lawson wrote:

I wish I lived closer t0o the border. I would help you celebrate. :)
John
Add pictures here
✖

And happy 10-10-10 day for the rest of the planet!!
<G>
Add pictures here
✖
Let us all hope that it will be a peaceful and harmonious day as well.
10-10-10 is close to the 9-11 day we remember.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 10/10/2010 4:10 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Brian Lawson wrote:

Did I leave my web cam on again? ;-)
Well, no matter, i just finished the pie. I couldn't wait till tomorrow and the label said, "Use by 10/10/10" :)
Add pictures here
✖

As a ex-Canadian ( not completely, I have dual citezenship) I am ashamed to say I had forgotten it completely. There is no equivalent here in Auz, but Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
Add pictures here
✖

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    That one looks *nice*! I would like to see the top end of the anti-rotation strap to see how it is locked to the quill to determine how much of Z-axis travel would be swallowed up.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
✖