Wood router duty cycle?

(...)

Careful with Amazon.com, Iggy.

TRS Recovery Services, Inc. (an extortion ring) has their hooks into them big time.

Lots of customers have suffered.

Most popular scam is for Amazon to mis-key a customer's bank account information. The transaction fails and is sold to TRS who makes the guiltless customer's life Hell until he or she pays TRS the amount of the transaction, plus an extortion fee. It gets worse from there.

?/topic/2537-trs-recovery-servicestelecheck/
It happened to me.

Run Away!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'm inclined to believe that your engraving bit will not load the router near what a typical router bit for wood would. Build it, check temps in operation, learn how long you can push it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

The PC 690 routers (and most other brands) are also round bodied.

Reply to
Pete C.

to R8, which isn't. It appears that it is exactly

there. If shipping is an issue, contact me off-line

Why don't you aks Steve to look for a spindle speeder? Very nice way to go.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Valid comments but I posted the information as an affordable 3x speeder was mentioned and IIRC Iggys mill has a 2.5krpm max spindle. It was put forward for consideration and any decision would then be at the discretion of the purchaser who has the choice of investigating the suitability of the kit further for themselves.

Personally I'd be tempted to try the router route as I already have a variable speed router which can also double as an electric die grinder. As the other router mentioned it has a cylindrical mounting boss simplifying the mounting aspect.

Reply to
David Billington

I wouldn't worry about it . That thing has a fan , and it'll be blowing chips out of it's own way . If you want something with more oomph , check out the Porter Cable line of 1/2" capacity routers - they go up to 2+HP and have a motor housing that's designed to be clamped in a base or fixture . Just make sure you don't get coolant up inside the motor , that can get colorful ...

Reply to
Snag

We use Hitachi 3hp plunge routers. They often run 8 hours a day. They last

6 months and then I throw them away. We used to get them rebuilt but the cost curve says "pitch 'em!". Usually, the bearings go first but that's not all...everything just wears out! I have boxes and boxes of all the accoutrements that come with these that never get used. I just can't pitch them. I more than get my money out of them!

For your use, you're gold!

Reply to
Buerste

I have Hitachi MV12 that I bought for a still not finished router table. Have you used one and if so how did it hold up?

Wes

Wes

That's the variable speed version, I use the M-12. I've found that they are the best for the money and work hard...right up until the time they die a screaming, smoking death. But, I wouldn't doubt we get 1,000 hours.

Reply to
Buerste

Any idea what spindle runout you get on those while they are relatively new?

Reply to
Ignoramus12820

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:59:51 -0700, "CW" wrote: SNIP

10,000 RPM is becoming a standard in new VMC's used in tool & die shops, even on fairly large units. Speeds to 40,000RPM have been available for while, at some expense.

It will be interesting to see what spindle speed changes have been become available over the last 2 years. At IMTS2008, there was a demo of one running at 120,000 RPM. It was surfacing at incredible IPM's. Cutting was dry of course, but a rrrrreeeeeeally large refrigeration unit was cooling the head, spindle, and column. Hard to see any chips flying, more like "dust", but interesting to watch.

I wonder what will we see at IMTS2010 net month?

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Sorry, that was never a concern. We rout a 2" x 1/8" x 2-1/2" groove in Beech. It's not to critical, just good enough to index a long handle. What runout are you looking for?

Reply to
Buerste

I am not sure, the less the better, 0.003-4 worst case, hopefully better. It would be OK for engraving, but not for precision work. I really do not know what I will be dealing with.

Ignoramus12820

RCM only

What kind of coolant do you suppose they use for birch plywood?

Googled "bosch colt cnc" for 1.4million hits.

One nice thing about working wood with powah tools is that you clean it up immediately. Your dust collector is sucking in hundreds of CFM right next to the router, so it is getting a hefty, cooling breeze by it at all times. I understand that the Colt is one of the most used routers on CNC tables.

I should have more info in a couple weeks after my new book comes. In the interim, ask Bosch themselves. (googlit)

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Without reading this whole thread I will throw in my 2 cents worth. I am more familiar with woodworking and routers than with metalworking. I have had routers in router tables that literally ran continuous for 8 to

10 hours per day, day in and day out, some carrying fairly heavy bits. They do have cooling fans, and in most router tables they are upside down so they must have fans to keep them from filling up with chips. Recommendations would be DeWalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, some of the older commercial Black and Decker units, or, if you can find one, a Stanley round top router. I prefer the Stanley because they are easy to mount, all metal, have a very strong bearing setup, and tend to be quieter than most because they turn slower (usually around 18,000 rpm instead of 25,000) and have such a strong bearing mount.
Reply to
Knot Important

I suspect an 80/20 nitrogen/oxygen blend or thereabouts...

Reply to
Pete C.

@90psi. Got it.

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here are some options:

I've used the Proxxon die grinder and it worked pretty well for me in light use. The Kress router should be more robust. The Speeder may work for you as it is supposed to fit BP-type spindles, though you probably want more speed than it can give you.

Reply to
Mike Henry

I'd never use mine that long and if I did, I'd not kick about it. Thanks for the hard life product review.

Wes

Wes

When you get your router, you need to chuck up something that fits the collet that is accurate. Likely your engraving bit will do up where the shaft is biggest.

Using a test indicator.

Check the router for run out. You might be able to clock the collet to improve run out. Wood is more forgiving than metal ;)

I use a .0001" resolution one like that quite often at work. For some things it isn't good enough but for the majority of lining up things it gets the job done.

Wes

Wes