Question on engraving aluminium

Long absence on here so hope you done mind me just popping in with a question.

Need to mill out or engrave out some text in an aluminium plate and wonder if anyone know the standard spindle speed for such as the model A?

I am guessing it is the 5,000 rpm mark if not a bit more, so wondering what type of results I can get with a max of 1,600, just need to reduce feed rates I guess.

Not having a manual, if anyone could also point out what shape profive I should use, having seen some 30 degree cutters at 3.2 mm dia from Japan or China I could fix the pin drill in the chuck if these would work.

If anyone here in the Blackburn area with the capabilities to save me some time please get in touch as I need to have a VIN plate done.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

My Taylor Hobson Model A engraver has two speeds, 5500 and 11000 rpm. The manual recommends the higher speed for aluminium, though I have had good results using the lower speed and feeding slowly. I think you would need to feed very slowly indeed if your machine can only reach 1600 rpm.

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1

Thanks Mike

It is a Chester champion mill with CNC fitted and yes slow spindle speed, could you let me know what type of cutter you would use, would a 20 degree cutter or slightly wider say 45 degree cutter be OK?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

See:

Not made this unit, but it sounds as if it should be an ideal long-term solution for you.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Thanks David, but unfortunately just after short term fix.

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Bodge time!

If you have a dremeloid and a little ingenuity, you can mount it next to the millhead - after all, it doesn't have to be inline with the spindle, just parallel to it - and for engraving, even roughly parallel is enough.

One tip, the up position should be a little higher than normal as a dremeloid will typically have a bit of lengthwise slop.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Adrian

I don't claim to be an expert on engraving, but for soft materials like alumium I usually use cutters with an included angle of 30 or 40 degrees, truncated according to the required width of the lettering. For the small stuff I do, handwheel dials and the like, I usually engrave 6-8 thou deep.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1

I get great results milling 5mm high text in 6082 with a carbide 1.2mm ball nose, 3500rpm, 60mm per min, 0.2mm per pass. Usually 2 passes gives me a good engraving that polishes up very well. I use paraffin as coolant/lubricant gently brushing it on whilst clearing any chips.

I found these settings quite quickly but still break cutters if the work isn't exactly level.

I tried a 45 deg V bit but I get the impression that these work best at very high rpm's, the finish isn't a patch on the ball nose's at 3500rpm.

Reply to
Muldoon

Thanks to you both for the replies, it will give me some thing to try out.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian