what is a "Painted Metalisized Steel" finish

Hi,

I was looking at a sculptor's web site and he normally uses mild steel, but many of his sculptures descriptions say "Painted Metalisized Steel"

It's an Australian web site, so it could just be some different way of saying something common in the USA, but I can't figure it out! I love the finishes and can't tell if it's just the PAINT he uses or if there's something else going on.

The site is at:

Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated!

James Kelsey, Seattle

Reply to
RainLover

You need to go to a custom car show. You will see paint finishes just like that.

Custom car paint guys shouyld be able to duplicate that effect.

I believe that they are using the term "metalized" to mean a pearlescant finish or what a US car guy would call a "metalic" paint.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Pearlescant and metallic paints are not the same. Pearlescant has more of a soft underlying glow whereas metallic has larger visible particles.

Reply to
knob

Here it is directly from the sculptor's website, misspellings and all:

"Metallising is a technical term for the layering of a second protective metal (typically zinc, and similar to galvanising). This metal is applied molten hot, sprayed directly onto the shotblasted steel. It is the most effective long-term protection for steel. With paint over zinc metallised steel providing the ideal corrosion resistance.

Painted Metallised Steel sculpture can better withstand the rain and fluctuations in temperature of outdoor installation. Whilst un-metallised mild steel sculpture should be kept dry and inside."

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

Oh so he is doing a flamespray treatment with zinc.

Hell why not just get them hot dip galvanized?

That means the "Metalising" has nothing to do with the final paint job. It is just for rust proofing.

James just have your pieces hot dip galvanized.

These guys have an absolutely HUGE dip tank. They are in South Park.

Ace Galvanizing

429 S 96th St. Seattle, WA 98108 (206) 762-0330 (206) 767-4311

The other guys in Seattle are

Scott Galvanizing (206) 783-3100

They are in Ballard.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

What misspellings? "Shotblasted" without a hyphen?

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
A.Gent

More likely "Siggy"/Robert refers to the use of s rather than z in metallising, metallised, and galvanising. Why can't the English teach their children how to spell?

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

THANKS everyone! I'll Check out ace. I may to to practice a bit MORE with the ol' spraygun before moving up to the auto-quality finishes, but I think that's what he does... the zinc, and then the paint... no relation.

Thanks again,

James Kelsey, Seattle.

Reply to
RainLover