What is a "Speed Lathe"?

See:

It looks dangerous as hell, I want it! However, I can't imagine what it does.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Looks like a small horizontal mill that someone has fitted a chuck to where the arbor should go. There is even the socket for the overarm.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Just turns the part (rapidly, I think) and you polish the part or deburr it with hand tools (no rest used).

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I've seen the term applied to a plain lathe, no screw-cutting gear, compound rest or cross-slide. Just a powered spindle with a tailstock. Saw it in a Brit metalworking manual. Was used for finishing processes, polishing, deburring corners, etc. Have never seen one like is pictured, though. Like the other poster said, looks like a horizontal mill fitted with a three-jaw. Would work for short parts, though.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Equipment I've seen at auctions described as a speed lathe didn't look anything like that. They were more like second operation non-threading high speed lathes, only without as much speed control, etc. as a good second operation lathe.

Reply to
ATP*

It isn't, but looks like a wood bowl lathe - work from the end...

I suspect the chuck might just fit and isn't normal...?

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Standard old Burke horizontal miller, (several here have them) with a 3 jaw stuck in the spindle.

Probably for polishing etc.

However..Ive used a horizontal mill on more than one occasion to turn BIG stuff that wouldnt fit into the lathes. Simply mount the cutting tools on the table and work from the bottom. A drive plate with the proper arbor on the back is the way to hold the work piece.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Here's a real "Speed Lathe" as I know it. Popular item for deburr departments in this area. (in case you're reading this, boss) Great for polishing lathe parts.

ff