What is it? CXCVIII

According to R.H. :

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking, as usual.

Well ... that is fair enough -- *I* block a lot of road-runner sites because of spam or sshd attacks coming from them. :-)

I do try to avoid blocking the genuine mail servers, when I can recognize them.

1091) Hmm ... it looks like a side piece of a military helmet -- though it looks more Greek, but the lettering appears to be Chinese. 1092) A current transformer. You feed a wire through it, and measure the current produced between the two terminals. (You can boost the sensitivity by running multiple loops through the hole, instead of just a single wire.

I *think* that the moulded-in data shows a ration of 50:5. Mine is a black case with a black anodized aluminum label with natural aluminum lettering, and the ratio on it is 400:5. This suggests that the standard meter hooked to it is 5A full scale, no matter what the scale *actually* says.

Mine, also has the frequency range of 50 Hz to 400 Hz, and is rated for 600 V.

Yours appears to have a VA (Volt-Amps) rating as well, though it is difficult to read the moulded lettering in the marbled plastic.

1093) This appears to be an early form of stapleless paper joiner.

It pokes a hole through multiple sheets of paper, and folds it down on the top of the hole.

1094) It looks like one half of a set of hinges which disconnect from each other by twisting. It is obviously designed to screw down to flat wood, though I'm not sure what the tongues on either side are for.

Perhaps it could be a lock which can be swiveled to release the other half to disconnect.

1095) A knife blade sharpener. You roll it on a countertop. The rubber treads keep it from slipping, and the knife goes to either side of the white stone, held at the proper angle by the sides of the plastic center. 1096) This appears to be a device for getting a pill (perhaps wrapped in meat) into an animal and past the point where the critter can cough it back up.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've cast a few of these beasties myself 8-)

I've lately started to take a serious interest in "ancient" Chinese bronzes. Not because I think they're anything other than modern repro tat, but because I'm just curious as to their patination technologies. "Sight reading" chlorides vs. carbonates can be good sport at car-boot sales.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think you might be headed down the wrong path here. I think it's a tool used when making fence to wrap VERY tight wraps of fence wire around itself.

How it's used. When making fence and starting from a new corner, the wire is wrapped around a new corner post, and the most efficient method of attachment is to tie the wire onto itself. Take a length of wire wrap it around itself once or twice. Take this apparatus and hold it so the right side is vertical, (rotate the top to the right) move it so the base of the "U" is touching the wire, then rotate the top back left. The device will swing on the horizontal wire. Slip the tail of wire under the hook, and simply rotate the tail (left end) around the wire. The tail will wrapped wire will be very tight and clean looking.

I'm not sure about the hooks on the end...ours didn't have them...but it looks like it would be for leverage when rotating the device....it was a thumb killer! Number 9 wire does take some effort to twist.

I would love to have one of these...my dad and I used to build about a few miles of woven wire fence each year...I'd love to be able to do that again....

Reply to
DAC

it's similar, not exactly like this tool:

Reply to
DAC

All I have seen used for this is a piece of 3/16 x 1" about 6" long with different size holes very near each corner. You thread the wire through the tightest sliding fit and use the bar to wrap it around the standing wire. With a little practice, a workman can produce a very neat wrap in short order. I believe these were given away by the fence manufacturers at one time. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

1096. wow. wouldn't want that thing to accidentally go off in your shirt pocket. jeez. i'm sure it would be illegal today (terrist explosive device). i looked at that thing for half an hour trying to figure out what it could be. i thought that was a thumb activated plunger but couldn't figure out what a 4 3/4" long device could be. i wondered if the reason they made the "spoon" shape out of metal was for heat resistance, but had no idea what or why. (like someone else guessed, a doll bed warmer?!)
Reply to
William Wixon

According to E Z Peaces :

[ ... ]

That depends on the very sharp square corners of the post as well as the configuration of the wire wrapper. The corners bite into the wire, making oxygen-free connections (40 of them for a typical wrap). At one time (and perhaps still), the telephone company (which used a larger wire and a larger pin and tool) considered a wire-wrapped connection to be permanent, and a soldered connection to be temporary. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm using Windows Mail and I've looked but didn't see an option to change the "reply-to" field. If you know where it is, please tell me.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Rob, it's up to you, but I don't think you want to put your real address in the reply to box, since when someone quotes your message, as I've done here.. your real address will be posted in the numerous groups where you post your weekly puzzle page.

I look forward to seeing your new sets of oddities each week, keep up the good work

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

I think you are missing the distinction between a From: header and a Reply-to. Rob is not (yet) using a Reply-to header, so your news reader will use his From: as one if you were to send an email reply to him. The From: is also what is grabbed by the news reader and placed in the attribution line. (Which I manually removed in this reply, since I have a quirk about making the atribs fit on one line...)

When using a Reply-to header (as I am) your news client will grab it for email, but continue to use the From: for attribution.

BTW, this is not 100% effective in preventing your address from being harvested. It does help a bunch without causing problems for legitimate replies, so I highly recommend the practice.

Me too!

Reply to
William Bagwell

Wild_Bill wrote: *** and top-posted - fixed ***

The reply-to does NOT appear in the quotes either.

Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. I fixed this one. See the following links:

Reply to
CBFalconer

Thanks for pointing out the difference William

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Rob, the steps are to select Tools (while looking at your Mail reader), then select Accounts, Properties, under General Properties you'll see boxes for your Mail Account and boxes under User Information labeled: Name Organization E-Mail Address Reply Address after making any desired changes click OK, then Close

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Thanks, but apparently I don't get the same screen when following that path. I'm going to be too busy to worry about this issue for a while, so I'm going to put it off for the time being.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.