What is it? CIV

A new set has been posted, thanks to those who emailed and posted feedback about the site, there might be additional minor changes coming in the future:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

603 Boot puller

604 Rock Drill Bit

605 Flue connector
Reply to
John B
601. Looks like fletchetts but not any I've seen. You drop them out of planes, shoot out of shotguns or cannons at the enemy. Karl
Reply to
Karl Vorwerk
600 Looks like a sprag ratchet wrench. Provided stepless ratchet action.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

604 Point for a driven well.
Reply to
Unknown

Only ideas on one this week.

604 driven well point
Reply to
Howard R Garner

They appear to be those used in the 2.75" folding fin aerial rocket. AKA "nails".

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

The only one I know this week is 603... It's a boot jack for cowboy boots.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

600. Some sort of ratchet wrench 601. Weapon. Looks like the spikes that ninjas would throw, but they look too heavy and crude. 602. A planishing stake. 603. Boot jack. 604. Well point. 605. Concrete slab jointing tool. R
Reply to
RicodJour
600 - Some kind of automatic ratchet, hydraulic fittings???

601 - Fletchette, old style. I believe the newer ones have compressible fins so more can fit in a shell

602 - a really big tack? A horseshoe stake to handicap better tossers?

603 - boot jack

604 - some kind of rock drill, I think the holes allow water to be fed down to flush debris to the surface

605 -

Reply to
Bill B

600 is a wrench made for tightening swagelock tubing fittings.

I think it's made by Parker.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

601: blowgun darts? 603: a bootjack
Reply to
Barbara Bailey

Haven't looked at any guesses yet, but here are mine:

600: just the handle part of a machine tap - it rides on the spindle, and actuates the clutch "as needed". 601: Omigod! Flechettes! =:-O

602: No idea - anvil attachment for watch cases? :-)

603: Boot Jack - stick your heel in the U and step on it with the other foot.

604: Tree Feeder - pound it into the root ball, and dump plant food down it. Or, a ground rod for sandy dirt - you pour salt water into it to increase the conductivity. :-)

605: No idea.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise
604: Sand point for a water well.
Reply to
Lance Boyle

600: Faucet wrench

601: Mini darts

602: Valve handle

603: Wine bottle holder

604: Depth gauge
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

#600 Looks like it's designed to fit over a rotating shaft for some purpose #601 Some type of nail with a "cross" head"? #602 Decorative spike of some sort #603 Bootjack. Used to aid in removing cowboy boots or other tight-fitting shoes #604 Sandpoint. Used to drill test wells for water

Mark & Juanita

According to R.H. :

O.K. As always, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

600) A wrench for tightening Swageloc "flare" fittings. The rollers will be pushed back in one direction, but will press firmly against the flats in the other direction, giving it a ratcheting action, without needing to be properly aligned on insertion as a normal box wrench would require.

I've got one with two sizes on two ends -- for the 1/4" fittings and for the 5/16" fittings.

Note that they are not truly flare fittings, but they are used in the sorts of places where a flare fitting would be used.

The open part of the 'C' shape allows it to be slipped over the tubing both before and after tightening, so you don't wind up with an expensive wrench trapped on the tubing. :-)

601) Either some kind of steel quarrel for a crossbown, or a variation on the "lazy dog" anti-personell devices dropped from a high-flying aircraft, letting the long fall build up the kinetic energy to injure or kill someone.

The ones which I have seen were smaller and made of lead. These may be intended to penetrate something more solid than a person.

602) I find it hard to imagine this beeing driven into wood without maring the finish on the head.

Offhand, I would think that it is for looping a rope over, or perhaps for hanging clothes from, and it should be pressed into a pre-drilled hole, not driven in with a sledgehammer.

603) A bootjack! Used for removing cowboy boots. One foot is placed on top of the ramp to hold it down, and the heel of the boot on the other foot is placed in the notch to hold the boot while the foot is withdrawn. 604) Hmm ... I've never seen one, but I suspect that this may be a perforating charge -- an explosive set off in the bottom most section of the pipe in a drilled well, to perforate the walls to allow the water (or oil, depending on the well) to flow in. 605) No guess at all on this one.

Now to see what others have already answered.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The R.H. entity posted thusly:

600. Shaft ratchet wrench 601. Crossbow quarrels (bolts, as in arrows) 603. Boot Jack (for removing boots) 604. Bottom section for a well. Driven in.
Reply to
Oleg Lego

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk