What is this MT2 item used for?

If not still in use they aren't long dead. These were popular in large production shops, in fact the tanged drills used in the drill sockets were always referred to as 'automotive shank' when I worked in such a place. It's been 20 years or so since I worked there, but out of a shop with thousands of machines one never saw a Jacobs or similar chuck. All the CNC tooling used some sort of ER or DA collect system, while the tooling used on radial drills and horizontal boring mills was predominately morse taper. There were MT sockets for drills and reamers, taps, and center drills, each designed for that type of tool. All the radial drills, and there were many, were set up with a quick change system that allowed changing tools with the spindle running, by hand. The tool holders pretty much came in nothing but MT and whatever you needed to hold had to either go in one of these sockets, or have a MT shank. Usually twist drills 3/4" or so and up had MT shanks, while those smaller had tanged shanks and employed MT sockets. One changed the tool out of the holder with a drift key and hammer, while a good rap of the butt of the holder on the bench corner was all that was required to seat the new tool.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Batozech

According to Paul Batozech :

[ ... ]

I've got a few MT-1 holders for taps and for a very few drill sizes. And I've made a socket for the MT-1 holders to fit into a releasing tap holder for my lathe's bed turret. I have yet to make a run with them now that I have them -- but I've got some roll form taps to try with the system.

Nothing for the larger sizes, other than the MT-3 socket in the lathe's tailstock, and the MT-2 socket in the drill press. (Oh yes -- also the MT1 socket in the tailstock of the little Compact-5/CNC lathe, and the old Atlas/Craftsman 6x18" lathe. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The correct term for these is "Split Sleeve Drill Driver", or just "Drill Driver". They are a sort of 2-jaw collet, used as others here have suggested. Mostly they are a production tool. A popular brand is Collis. Most machinst supplies have them, and they turn up in profusion at used tool sales.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

So where can i find the origional? :wink:B):wink

Reply to
nerve912