what the heck is this base for

here is a link to the drop box

this looks just familar enough that I know I ought to recognize it, but I've been pondering it for several months and I still don't know - I'm sure that a bunch of you folks will immediately recognize it. (note there is a .txt file also, with dimensions - the key dimension is that it holds a 1 3/4 inch shaft/rod/tube/whatever)

any clues?

Reply to
William Noble

It reminds me of a desk lamp mount.

Reply to
Jim Levie

I used to have a photo enlarger with a base that looked like that when I was highschool.

I don't remember the curved back but it was about the same size with the same deco ribbing.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Yes, I remember one just like it. Already old 20+ years ago... Think it was a dark brown finish, but the ribs were the same as well as the diameter of the tube.

Reply to
William Bagwell

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:31:05 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Jim Levie quickly quoth:

Sure enough, and probably from the Art Deco era at that.

-- The only difference between a rut and a grave...is in their dimensions. -- Ellen Glasglow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks like an old magnifying desk lamp on a cantilever arm set.

The base (not cylinder) is exactly the same pattern as the two I have.

Martin

Mart> here is a link to the drop box

Martin H. Eastburn

I've never seen a desk lamp that mounted with the 1.25 inch cylinder - is this possible? Could be an enlarger base I suppose like some suggested, but the enlargers I was familiar with were pretty heavy and I don't know that this would hold one - but that is an interesting possibility.

oh, one more hint, but not much of one - the casting says B&J .101 on the inside edge of the curved part - does that clue anyone ?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Burke & James Solar enlarger. A web search turned up a few pics at:

you can kinda see the base mounting plate.

Steve

Reply to
Steven J Masta

B&J sounds like "Burke & James" -- a photographic company. It could support one of the cheap enlargers like I started with, or a copy stand for supporting the camera above a copy board.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

outstanding!!!! excellent work, Steve - I'm really impressed - but then again I was pretty confident that someone would come through.

Don't know what I'll do with that info now, but at least I know what it fits

my hat's off to you (though I rarely wear a hat, it's off anyway).....

thanks.

?
** Posted from
**