What oil for vacuum pump

I am getting a vacuum pump like this
http://www.amresupply.com/viewpart.php?PartNumEnc=RFYxNDI =&
it requires oil. Where should I look for such oil, practically
speaking. Would "compressor oil" be adequate?
thanks
Hi,
Compressor oil will stop your vacuum pump wearing out, but it will limit the ultimate vacuum achievable because it contains volatile components which vacuum pump oil does not. It is probably worth buying proper low vapour pressure vacuum pump oil as the price is not exorbitant. Check out Duniway Stockroom for pump oil:
http://www.duniway.com/html/cs-sp-section.htm
Incidentally, if you haven't yet bought a vacuum pump, look at belt driven models. The belt driven Welch and Edwards pumps are very rugged and a good buy second hand. I believe Duniway stock the Welch models.
Best wishes,
Chris

Thanks. I already bought a used pump like this:
http://www.amresupply.com/viewpart.php?PartNumEnc=RFYxNDI =&
I hope that after I sell the rest of the stuff that comes with the pump, the pump would be about free to me. These Sargent Welch pumps are great, but I will see if I can "do" with a smaller model like that 1/2 HP pump mentioned in that link.
I will pick this pump up this week.
Depending on local stores for you, you might expect to find vacuum pump oil at farm supply (milk machine), HVAC (air conditioning) some auto parts (also air conditioning), or an industrial supply. It can also be shipped.

You can buy vacuum pump oil from grainger. Check sam laser and vacuum page for cheaper places to buy oil.
I have some used oil that you can have that does not look to bad.
chuck

Thanks Chuck. McMaster has it and with McMaster, I can have oil in one day. I think that I can as well get a gallon of new oil. I appreciatethe offer though.

    I don't believe so. Vacuum pump oil needs to have very low volatiles so it doesn't boil or otherwise outgas at the very low pressures which the pump can achieve.
    Proper vacuum pump oil is quite expensive, and you get it from specialty houses like Cenco that sell to labs.
BTW    A crimper which is right for your un-insulated terminals has     shown up on eBay. Check out auction number: 7586741978
    22 hours to go.
    Not as nice as the hydraulic crimper for the pre-insulated     terminals, but this one will handle sizes from #8 through 4/0,     all with what you see there. No need to get other dies, they     are all in the head, and selected by pulling a pin and rotating     the dies.
    And no -- I don't have one of these. I tend to prefer the     pre-insulated terminals.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Thanks. Looks like McMaster has it. See item 1385K22, $23.57.

As for this one, would it not also handle insulated terminals just as well?

Same here, although for bigger sizes, heat shrink tubing is also quite helpful. I do not think that I have yet reached the zen of crimping.

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Good news.

    No -- the shape of the crimp is quite different, and the sizing is wrong for insulated terminals. I think that the shape of these dies would tear the plastic insulation on the pre-insulated one..

    You need to collect more tools and terminal styles to do that. :-)
    I've been collecting crimpers and terminals since about 1966, I think.
    Enjoy,         DoN.