What's new?

Ron -

Do you have all of your phones on filters ? One will kill the service nicely.

I would try un plugging at the wall each phone

1 at a time until the last one is left and still won't work then pull it and put in the first phone to test.

You might have filter or phone failure.

Martin IEEE Comm Society :-)

VOIP is alive and well - CISCO among others have the gear to do just that. The TV cable types want to put VOIP over their fiber lines. So it is coming out more and more.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If it were my house, it would probably be a leaky blocking capacitor in the ringer of an old phone. I had one situation like that where the cloth cord in the shop phone was laying against the rock wall, which was damp from several days of rain. The cloth wicked in the moisture and shunted the line.

The phone company does not like the user to draw more than about five or ten microamps of dc current before it puts the line into a fault condition. If you listen to the line with a lineman's handset set to monitor, you will hear clicks as something charges the line - the more frequent the clicks, the worse the shunt.

The last time this happened though, it wasn't my equipment - it was a small circuit board at the service drop on the outside of the house, between the drop and the network interface. There was a board with what appeared to be a couple of transistors and tantalum capacitors on it, which had gone bad - during a lightning strike I think.

The OP should of course remove all his wiring up to the network interface and check for dial tone there, if he hasn't already done so. Then I'd unhook that circuit board and check again....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Thanks Bob, Spehro, Keith!!!

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

I'll add cheap satelite phone. Now that someone private is launching birds a lot cheaper than NASA, the cost of keeping a bird up will drop. Think of all the high maintenance plant that will eliminate.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

That's a "Half Ringer" network, they install them so they can 'see' to the end of the cables and your house wiring electronically with a TDR, even if you don't have any telephone sets plugged in. The transistors are for tests - they can reverse the polarity and switch on a short circuit to test the loop.

And I agree, they go bad. If in doubt, take it out of the circuit and try again. If you have a fancy NID box, they might be hidden inside a "Telco Access Only" compartment cover, and all you need is a

3/8" nutdriver or Tamper Hex screwdriver to access it.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I wonder how your "Project Management" (PM) class will benefit from this collection of new products?

Maybe you should focus on the latest developments (especially the new tools and techniques) in the PM areas of knowledge (as described in the PMBOK). For instance:

- Tools for managing chaos and complexity (e.g. how do you deal with projects running around the clock in different timezones by different teams using Internet to communicate?), how can video-conferencing support intra-team communications?

- Use of RAD and prototyping to gain early user acceptance and reduce risks in a spiral development

- Use of new configuration management (CM) tools (e.g. web-based CM tools) and practices to increase dynamics (versus "static" CM practices and tools)

- Use of new techniques such as earned-value approach to deal with cost/schedule integration, any new tools for cost estimation (does COCOMO II still fits todays projects?)

- etc.

Reply to
Jean-Philippe Hubin

--Newest took I use the most: Formdrill.

Reply to
steamer

---snip---

A huge part of my training has to do with identifying opportunities, improvements and potential paybacks. The trick is to be observant enough to detect these possibilities and then 'sell' a project idea through the chain of command or to become an entrepreneur and do it themselves. So it's not so much the mechanics of project management, but the process to find a project.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg