what to do with old lawn mower blades?

Gardening for guys

Is time to go get new lawn mower blade. It isn't just that this one is flat on the leading edge, but it is also bent. My local expert says "replace it, cheaper than stitches, when it breaks loose". Okay, Super Saturday sale today ... But it leaves me with a "nice" blade. My Scot's blood has me wondering if a handle could be made and attached to make it into a chopper/heavy duty 'machete'? Or something for the zombie apocalypse, maybe? Or would it be better if I had a blacksmith type forge to work it a bit?

Regardless, time for me to be gone.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

We used to make sheet metal rippers out of them. You would tape one end up good than go about 1/2" down on the other end and grind a shallow notch with a cutting edge. Grind the wing side down so it's a flat blade. In use you would take a heavy hammer and hit the back of the blade and drive the point through the sheet metal, then tip the end up and drive it with the hammer. Cut more than a few vehicles open using them.

I have also made froes and small kindling splitters out of them. For that you sharpen the edge like a knife.

Reply to
Steve W.

Lawnmower blades are usually made of 1018 or the like.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Steve W. wrote: ...

Bob Engelhardt

They do NOT make good boomerangs.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That's fortunate!

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Oh I don't know. With enough pounding and shaping, you could make it into one. But it probably would be too heavy to be really useful.

Oh, and do not forget to duck ...

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich