What type of metal can bend repeatedly without breaking?

bend it again, it depends on how sharp the bend is and how many cycles you= need. =A0A wire coat hanger will if the bend is not sharp go through a sur= prising number of cycles before it fails, but eventually it will.

illapod" for one example.

e or 12-gage copper electrical wire from Home Depot or wherever and anneal = it after every use--you can anneal it with a burner on a gas stove--just ge= t it red hot and throw it in a bucket of water. =A0Cut a bunch of extras an= d do a week's worth at a time.

Segmented may be the way, ala gorillapod. I've got a indicator stand that uses about the same approach using spheres and socketed cylinders, all with a hole in the center. A tensioned cable through the center holds it all together, in whatever configuration it happens to have. May not do the support thing(wasn't quantified) but should wrap and unwrap indefinitely.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Ah, that's much clearer ... we were thinking that you wanted this to bend as your knee bent. To use it to hold you knee pads on, you would want spring steel in the "holding" shape. Then it would _flex_ enough to remove it, without needing to bend it to a different shape.

As a wild-ass guess, I would say the piece should be about 3/4 to 1" wide & maybe .030 thick. That would give a pretty strong hold & you need that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt