where to buy a new hand operated screw drive

Anybody know where I can get something like this *new* and decent quality without spending a fortune? Needs to have a travel of around
10" and be able to pull about 500#.
Thanks folks.
J oa
Anybody know where I can get something like this *new* and decent quality without spending a fortune? Needs to have a travel of around 10" and be able to pull about 500#.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RS-15/N5724/RS-15_Systems.htm Thanks folks.
J oa
There has to be something like this out there. Perhaps made for a drill press or similar?
Joa
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

You could make it from a piece of off-the-shelf acme threaded rod, and an old eggbeater drill.
Jim
please reply to:
|| snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... ||> ||>Anybody know where I can get something like this *new* and decent ||>quality without spending a fortune? Needs to have a travel of around ||>10" and be able to pull about 500#.
Junk garage door opener? Texas Parts Guy

    Maybe. Beware that they are rather fast. The one I have is a triple-lead thread. And the "Nut" is only a piece of moulded plastic, set up so it can access the leadscrew through a slot, or be pulled clear of it to allow moving the door by hand -- in the case of a power failure, or a door closer failure.
    Good Luck,         DoN.

http://mcmaster.com search for "bevel gears", 1/2-way down the page are 2:1 sets in several sizes... then search for "acme threaded rod" and select "general purpose threaded rod and studs". Repeat for acme threaded nuts. You'd still have to fabricate your own handles and brackets.
If that's too pricy, repeat the entire process using the following: http://www.mscdirect.com http://www.use-enco.com
Alternatively, let your fingers do the walking for "gears" in your local phonebook, or look at http://www.martinsprocket.com / http://www.bostongear.com / and search for local dealers. Poking around in the Boston Gear website should eventually get you to the gear design pages to figure out what you need, as well.
HTH --Glenn Lyford
Thanks all for the info, good stuff. I could fab something myself out of gears but am really sort of looking for something already out there and was hoping someone on the list might have ran across it.
I'll research the different options for making one myself though.
Joa
It would help to know what you are trying to accomplish.
We just installed a new trailer jack spindle, so we tore apart the old one. Nice Acme spindle, heavy nut, already has a handle, could easily be adapted to power. You can buy square or round, weld or bolt, side wind or top wind

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If a scissors jack can lift a ton, it oughta be able to pull it also. Really not sure what you're looking for.
Ken Grunke
On 20 Dec 2004 18:54:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Trailer tongue jack, $32.99 10" travel, 1000 lb rating.
www.northerntool.com
Search for Item# 127480 This one has both the bevel gears and the screw jack.