where to buy a new hand operated screw drive

Anybody know where I can get something like this *new* and decent quality without spending a fortune? Needs to have a travel of around

10" and be able to pull about 500#.

Thanks folks.

J oa

Reply to
sigmatero

Anybody know where I can get something like this *new* and decent quality without spending a fortune? Needs to have a travel of around

10" and be able to pull about 500#.

folks.

J oa

Reply to
sigmatero

There has to be something like this out there. Perhaps made for a drill press or similar?

Joa

Reply to
sigmatero

You could make it from a piece of off-the-shelf acme threaded rod, and an old eggbeater drill.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

||In article , || snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... ||>

||>Anybody know where I can get something like this *new* and decent ||>quality without spending a fortune? Needs to have a travel of around ||>10" and be able to pull about 500#.

Junk garage door opener? Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
rex

It would help to know what you are trying to accomplish.

We just installed a new trailer jack spindle, so we tore apart the old one. Nice Acme spindle, heavy nut, already has a handle, could easily be adapted to power. You can buy square or round, weld or bolt, side wind or top wind

DanG

Maybe. Beware that they are rather fast. The one I have is a triple-lead thread. And the "Nut" is only a piece of moulded plastic, set up so it can access the leadscrew through a slot, or be pulled clear of it to allow moving the door by hand -- in the case of a power failure, or a door closer failure.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

If a scissors jack can lift a ton, it oughta be able to pull it also. Really not sure what you're looking for.

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken Grunke

for "bevel gears", 1/2-way down the page are 2:1 sets in several sizes... then search for "acme threaded rod" and select "general purpose threaded rod and studs". Repeat for acme threaded nuts. You'd still have to fabricate your own handles and brackets.

If that's too pricy, repeat the entire process using the following:

Alternatively, let your fingers do the walking for "gears" in your local phonebook, or look at
search for local dealers. Poking around in the Boston Gear website should eventually get you to the gear design pages to figure out what you need, as well.

HTH --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

Thanks all for the info, good stuff. I could fab something myself out of gears but am really sort of looking for something already out there and was hoping someone on the list might have ran across it.

I'll research the different options for making one myself though.

Joa

Reply to
sigmatero

Trailer tongue jack, $32.99 10" travel, 1000 lb rating.

Search for Item# 127480 This one has both the bevel gears and the screw jack.

Reply to
Don Foreman