Which ebay sniping program do you use?

I don't snipe-persay, but bid once in the last 30-45sec with the highest amount I'm willing to pay. If someone wants it more than me-fine. For instance: A rare Technics SL-P8
single disc CD player- I bid up to $350.00 with a sniper nailing me in the last 1 sec. That was 1 month ago. Another SL-P8 player, also in excellent condition came up a few days ago. With 1 minute left, there were 8 bids, with the current bid at $86.00 I bid $350.00 with 12 sec remaining and won the item for $97.00, with The losers bidding like crazy for $1-2.00 in the last seconds. JR Dweller in the cellar
SteveB wrote:

Doesn't everyone? No need to use a program, just bid your max within the last ten seconds of the auction. Anything else isn't sniping and won't work.
Jim
================================================= please reply to: JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com ================================================
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070103080006040100020607 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
What about using ebay's system? I understand that ebay automatically bids for you up to the maximum amount that you determine, no extra fees. I think that the only way that you could lose would be if the final price was higher than the maximum bid that you have predetermined, in which case you would want to lose. Even if a sniping program put in a bid at the last second, if it was under your maximum, ebay would outbid the sniper on your behalf. Or is there something wrong with that strategy? The only problem that I can see would be if two people were using that system, the price would instantly move up to the lower of the two maximum numbers. Even in that case, the person who wanted it more would get it, probably at a lower price than his maximum.
Let me know what you think about this system, which seems simple and effective to me, but I am not a heavy ebay user.
Richard
SteveB wrote:

--------------070103080006040100020607 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf8; name="invalid.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="invalid.vcf"
begin:vcard fn:Richard Ferguson n:Ferguson;Richard email;internet:Make obvious changes: ferguson sculpture AT att DOT net version:2.1 end:vcard
--------------070103080006040100020607--

    Yes, there is.
    If you put in your bid of say $333.33 early, when the standing bid is near $80.00, others will come in and start bidding say $5.00 more than the currently displayed top bid, moving your bid up with each try.
    However, if you put your significant bid in very late, these other biders will come in, perhaps bid once or twice to top whoever is already there, and then sit back expecting to win. When you come in, at the last moment, and make your bid of $333.33, you will almost certainly win it for less than you would have with your bid out early and available for the incrementalists to pick away at. (Of course, if there is another last-minute bidder who also is serious about it, it will go to whoever has put in the more serious bid -- but very often only one bidder is serious, and there will be one or two of the "If I bid just another five dollars I will get past his maximum" types.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 17 May 2004 19:00:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Well said..... and the essence of sniping.....
I've sniped watching the auction and using software. Have won and lost both ways. I am usually pleased with items won. And for those lost-someone wanted it more than me.
Life on ebay.
Gary Repesh
Everyone snipes with or with out a program... This in itself nullifies sniping in any form regardless of what you think... It comes down to the highest bid. In the last 10 seconds of an auction there are at least 100 bids on a popular item. It's really quite funny how proud (in an obtuse sort of way) people get when they don't realise everyone else is doing the same thing they're doing.

both
wanted it

I can honestly say I've never bid on anything with a third of 100 bids, or sold anything with more than half. Too much action for a good buying deal, and I've never sold any wedding dresses or router tables.
GTO(John)
You don't see all of the bids. Ebay doesn't register a bid in the history if the bid is below an exhisting high bid. Try to bid on any item on ebay by placing a lower bid than the high bid - you can't. But when 100 bids arrive at the server within a couple of seconds only a few will qualify as legitimate higher bids and show up in the history with one the eventual winner. The price can change by hundreds in a millisecond, just a wee bit faster than it takes you to enter your bid and send it to ebay.

the
sold
I've
snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Sorry for the one-word reply, but...
Precisely.
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no
SteveB wrote:

www.auctionmagic.com
Works great, great support, Cheap! Instead of hundeds of post's, just answer the question! Try it free! Just a happy camper! John Lovallo

I agree - that's the one I use and you couldn't ask for better support. Every time I've needed help they've replied within hours.

    [ ... ]

    I can't see how such a service could work without your eBay password, and I won't give out *my* password. A program (on my own system) with full source code, so I can see what it is doing, is a different matter. I used such a program for a short while, until one of eBay's frequent format changes caused me to lose an auction. I don't know whether the newer programs are better at adapting to format changes, but I would not trust such a program for anything which I *really* wanted -- just for something where it is no great problem if I lose it.
    I can't reach the site at the moment (I was going to at least look at it), but it timed out, and traceroute dies after 14 hops, with 209-204-79-106.sniparpa.net being the last point which I can reach. The actual IP returned by a nslookup for the system is 216.83.98.116.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

You do use your password but I've never had a problem with it. The program works like a charm and has never failed me unless there were system problems unrelated to the program. I just set the max price I'm willing to bid and don't worry about it until the auction ends. If I get outbid - so be it. It's obviously worth more to someone else.

Shareware programs need to "screen scrape" and will always be subject to ebay page formats changing without notice.
All the commercial services, surely, use ebay's "software development kit", that for a licensing fee of a couple $grand per year enables them to "do it right", using a direct interface into ebay's database that is independent of the UI.
Personally I like esnipe.com. Cheap and hassle free. Fee is 1% if you win, free if you don't.
I enter outrageous lowball bids on anything I'm even remotely interested in. I only win a small fraction of them. Most recent such win was $500 worth of Loc-Line, new in box, for $11, and $2000 worth of new stainless bar stock for $85, both local pickup so no shipping charge.

Merlin only costs $12.95 and there are no other fees - updates are free whenever eBay changes their format.
jbidwatcher, available on sourceforge.net or at http://www.jbidwatcher.com /.
This is a java app so it should run on any machine. I use it on a linux box.
I chose it because it was the only one I could find that ran on linux a few years ago. I haven't had any reason to look for another.
Hint, since I may browse ebay on a number of machines, I add interesting items to my watch list and then "get my ebay items" to load them into jbidwatcher.
Ed