Which external threading die for what?

Okay, I give up. I have been threading metal for years. but I still can't figure out hex shaped threading dies.

I need to thread a dozen 5/8" rods 5/8-11. I have a hex die that I bought some years ago and I have used it several timee, threading a dozen or two "ends" with it.

Now I need to thread several rods for 6". In the past, I have been able to get the parts into the lathe and to use the tailstock to hold the die in alignment for starting. But the rods for this job are 12 feet long and there's no way I can get them in and out of the lathe headstock. So, I have to thread them while they are held in a vise.

I have decided that I need an adjustable die stock large ennough to hold either 1 1/2" or 2" dies. I need the adjustable feature because I can't seem to get the die I have started straight enough with a hand wrench, let's say a 1/2" drive socket on ratchet handle.

Okay, here's the issue: My MSC catalog proclaims that Hex dies are for rethreading and that round dies are for "originating threads". Is this always and forever true? If not, how do I tell the difference in the catalog?

I do note that the starting threads on the few hex dies that I now possess seem to have only about 1 or 1 1/2" tapered threads. That makes them similar to a bottoming tap, in my estimation. And, I can tell you that it sure IS hard to "originate" an external thread of that size with the die that I have.

Finally, if it is true that "hex dies are always for rethreading, then why are there so many of them and so many dies stocks for them available? ----Especially since the MSC catalog also tells my that you can turn them with a wrench?

Oh yes; The die that I have is 1 1/4" across flats and there are no die stocks in the catalog to fit that one anyway.

Thanks for any help you guys can give, Pete Stanaitis

spaco

-----------------

How about buying some 5/8 threaded rod, cutting it to 6 inch lengths and welding the threaded parts onto the 12 foot long rods. If you are going to be putting a lot of tension on the 5/8 rods, you could buy

3/4 threaded rod and weld it onto the 5/8 rod.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Rent a pipe threader?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--=AD---------------

The hex dies are often - but not always - for rethreading damaged threads. The round dies are always - in my experience - for cutting threads from plain rod. But who knows what the manufacturer of your dies intended.

Not sure why you are focusing on an adjustable diestock as the answer, unless by "adjustable" you mean one with an adjustable pilot hole. To me, an adjustable diestock is one that takes two-piece dies that can be moved in or out to give looser or tighter threads. Some may have four-piece (or more) dies.

The better diestocks will usually have some provision for a pilot. This may be adjustable fingers or a solid single-size insert collar. Or it may be, as in the Little Giant style dies, part of separate die holder which is in turn held by the diestock. Whichever design, the pilot is designed to hold the die(s) square to the workpiece.

Your hex dies may be rethreading dies, particularly in light of the short tapered lead-in. I presume you meant 1 to 1-1/2 threads - not inches - of lead-in.

Grinding a chamfer on the end of the rod will help the die get started.

John Martin

Reply to
jmartin957

Bill Noble

Yes, I could have done that. As a matter of fact, I did do that for the left hand threaded end that I will be using. I am making 23 foot long tie rods and I already bought the turnbuckles and the left hand threaded rod,which I did cut into 12 inceh sections. I decided to minimize the number of welds by threading the right handed end of the rods.

Pete Stanaitis

-------------------

snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Reply to
spaco

figure out hex shaped

some years ago and

get the parts into

But the rods for

lathe headstock.

either 1 1/2" or 2" dies.

started straight enough

dies are for

tell the difference in

seem to have only about

my estimation. And,

size with the die

there so many of

catalog also tells

in the catalog to

You need a Ridgid bolt die head #37640 and the handle to use it. Here is a similar one on ebay....Paul

catguy

I might have made a guide like that, but my die is hex shaped and that would have been harder to do. Besides, that dies is VERY hard to turn. It takes about 50 ft lb or more, so I think it's time to get some better equipment.

Thank you, Pete Stanaitis

------------------------

Bill Noble wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Thanks, I will look into that route later today.

Pete Stanaitis

catguy wrote:

similar one on

Reply to
spaco

Clamp your die to a mill table, and clamp a 5/8 tube in front of it. The chuck the 12" rod in to a slow 3/4" drill, and turn the rod.

Tim