Mystery little press

Would anyone have an idea what is this press supposed to be for.

It is a little dull looking because it had some rust on it that I removed.
It looks like a neat device.
Ignoramus26236
Heck of a nut cracker.
(I dunno.)
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
Get some cheese cloth and make a one apple at a time cider press.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Those woul dhave to be very small apples, the size of walnuts :)
Reply to
Ignoramus26236
Is the foot on the screw machined to fit the bottom, or is it just a flat surface?
Paul
Reply to
KD7HB
It is machined to be the OPPOSITE of the bottom.
Ignoramus26236
Send the pix to the "what is it?" guy. ;-)
Cheers! Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
I think a nutcracker is correct, probably built by somebody like us. Try it out and let us know.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
Interesting! sure would no do much for a production line use.
Try putting a piece of thin aluminum sheet in the press and see what you get. Don't screw down too tight unless you know there is enough clearance in the die.
Paul
Reply to
KD7HB
I'd guess it was for embossing a corporate or government seal on documents. It's lacking the die.
Reply to
Jim Stewart
Watch case press?
Reply to
Jesse
It's just a screw version of an arbor press. JR Dweller in the cellar
Ignoramus26236 wrote:
Reply to
JR North
It is indeed a nut cracker. I remember seeing the plans in an old copy of Home Shop Machinist or a similar magazine
WayneJ
Reply to
WayneJ
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:36:24 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus26236 scrawled the following:
It's a wine press for a VEEEEEEERY small vineyard, Ig.
-- The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage. --Mark Russell
Reply to
Larry Jaques
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:46:16 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus26236 scrawled the following:
Bottlecap-maker?
-- The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage. --Mark Russell
Reply to
Larry Jaques
nov/dec 2004 hsm by Rudy Kouhoupt
WooHOO! (Happy Dance)
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
Sorry to disagree, but I am quite positive that the thing Iggy shows is NOT the nutcracker - for one, an elderly friend of mine has one lying around, and it's been lying around since long before 2004 - this item has some other application and whatever it is, no one has identified it yet - if I had to guess, I'd say it's for pressing bearings into something, possibly a U joint, but I'm not sure either
Reply to
Bill Noble
(...)
I spoke too soon!
Can you post a picture of your friends item?
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
Bill, the guy who sold me a box with stuff, including this press (for $3), said it had something to do with bearings, but he did not look certain.
Ignoramus7937
I could get a picture this weekend, but really, there is no reason - the item is EXACTLY the item Iggy pictured - exactly - the only difference is that it hasn't been cleaned up. It is definately a production item, not an HSM item
Reply to
Bill Noble