Which machine?

You can do some pretty interesting round pieces with an offset boring head on a mill. You are pretty limited in length, but you can be very precise.

Reply to
Justin

You guys have good comments. I started with a lathe; when I got a mill it really opened my eyes. I find a mill much more useful (but I wouldn't do without either).

Steve Smith

AL wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

WOW!

Reply to
Spike

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:52:37 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@shell.core.com (Ron Bean) calmly ranted:

Will a Sherline/HF/Griz mini-lathe turn a 2" pin for a backhoe pivot pin?

That has been the case (most often, anyway) for me.

Hmmm, good point. But oft-worn parts are usually a dime a dozen and in good supply, aren't they?

Found it, thanks.

My favorite response was Pete Albrecht's:

-snip-

around. Maybe the senior SB doesn't want to mess with the Asian Import?

You tried to fix up your SB with one of those green-card-coveting imports found in the back of a sleazy magazine? For shame!

"Hey, GI, turn you long time!"

-snip-

I could actually hear the asian accent on that lathe. ;)

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Unless you can find a compelling argument that a mill will offer a quicker return on your investment. I could justify the purchase of one to do test fixtures for my company. Not so with a lathe.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Check out the "gingery" books. You'll end up with metal casting equipment, a good sized lathe, mill, shaper etc, no free time .. and a divorce :P You can build a lathe with a mill or a mill with a lathe actually. Most people start with lathes. I started with a mill.

You can get a minimill for about 500. A minilathe for about 400. You can get micro versions of either for about half (the lathes dont actually get much cheaper). You can get a used industrial mill lathe MAssively cheap on ebay. Ive seen full sized manual mills go for under $500. Of course you need to add $1000 shipping, have three phase power, a LARGE amount of space and a LOT of money for tools and reconditioning. You can get a minilathe, minimill, and all the stuff to get you equipped pretty good for about $1000 total (including tools). Whatever you spend on the lathe or mill you will spend that again on tooling for them (vises, endmills, calipers, etc etc).

Grizzly mills are immensely popular for hobbyist/home shop types like me. As are the harbor freight mills and lathes. For smaller ones look at sherline/taig (i emphasize smaller work). Id really reccomend one of the harbor freight or grizzly mills. With a full sized mill you really need to get high quality endmills etc, and they literally cost 20 times more.

Just my opinion :)

Reply to
charles