Worth it to burn wood?

Actually, no. Its the badge we wear proudly..that we are compassionate and civilized. And its a good one.

However..when the credo is "To each according to his needs, from those according to his abilities" and enforced by the end of a gun..thats where things go a bit astray....

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

You have not completely quit smoking? You dipshit!

I don't like working at all at 100+, never have.

When you feel like a working vacation, I've got some bearings need replaced in my hand mill. Don't have any extra cats or dogs to offer, but if ya don't give up that foul tobacco I'll have Buckshot bite your ass...;~)

michael

Reply to
michael

If you like cutting wood cut some and sell it to the neighbors with wood stoves. Spend the money on better insulation on your house. Wood stoves are nice for a while but in a couple of years the become a real pain with the dirt of the ashes and the extra dust in the house, as well as the extra worry about fires. A real cheap trick to save a lot of heat is to put a extra acrylic sheet in the windows and seal it, or you could go for a better insulated window and make sure it is installed properly with full caulking and insulation around the perimeter of it. Oh yes if you go with wood make sure you get a CO alarm system in addition to a smoke and heat alarm.

John

Reply to
john

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:24:40 -0700, michael calmly ranted:

Pass it on, Mikey.

You realize that by taking even one drag off a cig that you are continuing to put the addictive drug into your system over and over again, don't you, Gunner? Make the decision to quit and it will be gone forever. BTDT, and I now have

15 years away from the ugly, stinky things. The best thing is that I NO LONGER SMELL LIKE A DIRTY ASHTRAY ALL THE TIME. I save a lot of money and am considerably healthier than I was back then, too. Do consider it, eh? You'll live longer (and much happier/healthier.)

Yeah, a heart attack and still smoking. Fidiot!

--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

--------------------------------------------------------------- -

Comprehensive Website Development -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually, not a heart attack. Sever angina from plugged arteries.

But is sure felt like one. Shrug..Im doing the best I can to stop smoking. As I indicated..Im way way down and am working at stopping. But for me, with as much time as I spend driving in heavy traffic..up to 8 hours a day..it tougher than I am.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 06:29:20 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

Semantics. It's your body telling you to wake up.

Smoking is a decision. Make it and you're done. I've made it through accidents (no surgeries, as all 3 docs had different ideas and one wanted to guinea pig me on one he hadn't tried yet, but I recovered to 85% on my own), alcoholism, and the other addiction: smoking. Smoking was hard because it was both a physical and emotional bond, but once I accepted that it was actually a simple decision, I made it and was over it in under a week. I had cut down from 2 packs of 100s a day to less than half a pack. I caught the flu and didn't feel like smokingand made the decision that day. I've never looked back

--except to ridicule myself for smoking as long as I did.

It's your choice. When are you going to make it?

Tips to help quit:

1) Nicotine gum is the same as a cigarette, keeping the evil substance in your body longer than you want. Forget it. It's a crutch you don't want or need.

2) Clean your truck and house thoroughly. Shampoo the chairs, couch, rugs, and curtains, wipe every surface with good cleaner, and get all that ugly goop out of there. Use Febreeze in the air ducts in the truck daily for at least a week. You will notice the smell leaving gradually. When it's gone, it won't keep reminding you that you once smoked.

3) Whenever you feel like a cigarette, go outside and take 3 or 4 deep, deep breaths. Consciously relax and enjoy the fresh air. (You're far enough away from helL.A. to do that aren't you?) Do this in the rain/cold/heat/fog. Take in the atmosphere and let that take your mind off the addiction for a few minutes.

If that doesn't quite cut it,

4) Get a big pack of sugarless gum. Chew half a piece each time you want a cig.

5) Tell everyone you know that you've quit and ask them not to smoke around you. [I banned cigs from my house and grounds, period. Some hardline smokers never came back, proof that they weren't good friends anyway. Ditto alcohol and nobody came back. (What a relief. ;) )]

  • Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques

No moral outrage from this quarter, I only managed to give up in march last year. What worked for me was that I had converted over the years to the lowest tar/nicotine smokes that were available and had not increased the number I smoked. When I finally decided to give up (second time round) I used some of the Nicotine loaded chewing gum... Didn't even get through a whole packet.

YMMV :-(

It helped that the cost of smokes in the UK is on a par with the cost of gas.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Allergy or no, its still unhealthy, especially in fairly densely populated areas when everybody and his brother decides to burn wood during a cold air temperature inversion, regulations be damned.......

Its particularily bad when these are basically city folks on less than 1/2 acre lots that either dont know or dont damned about the importance of getting a hot fire going, keeping it stoked, using dry cured wood and all of the other things those of us grew up in the sticks around here take for granted as being simply common sense.

And with the ready availability of logging debris for wood fuel in our region, this has become quite a problem in the last couple decades all around the outskirts of any of the medium and larger cities.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Can you say "Hello, PRC??"

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:13:09 -0700, Larry Jaques vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Depends on the personality, but I gave up after being told by a friend that she had spent quite some time simply imagining all "those situations" in her life, then seeing herself NOT SMOKING in all those situations. Worked for me. Took maybe a month of imagining.

But 100% Cold Turkey is the way to go in the end.

Agree about the nico gum/patch/whatever. They are in my opinion evil. They will work like snake oil. 5% of people will get somethong from them. The rest simply prolong the agony and buy gum/patches.

AFAIK, and from what I remember from losing my 2-packet a day habit, the actual Nico really ony hurt for about a week at most. The rest is habit, and that's the tough bit.

I was OK at the Pub, at work, in the car. But Suyddenly on a Sunday morning gor about 3 momths, after breakfast I would wonder what the hell was wrong. Just had to sit there and get over it.

I went to the quack about 6 months after I quit, because I still had a bit of a hack going. The Doc said this was quite common, and that the cough could get worse just after you gave up.

Then one day, about 8-9 months after I had quite cold, I ran somewhere. The air moved in and out of my lungs so beautifully.....I never really looked back.

Be warned! I could still get twinges 5-6 years later! Not bad, but I would see a packet of cigs and just _feel_ something that said "I could have one of thhose" almost without volition. Don't do it! If you do do it, then don;t say "I give up" and do it again!

am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.

Reply to
Old Nick

When smokes went to thirty two cents per, and three close friends died of lung cancer, my built in bull headedness took over and with the help of the patch, I put most of a new pack in the freezer at midnight of April 23, 1993. A couple years ago, second son discovered them and had the nerve to complain that they were freezer burned. I still enjoy the occasional whiff of second hand smoke but the old bull headedness is still working, and the price is once again getting close to that level - time for our aboriginal peoples to start making money again. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller