Yet another chain saw question

Don't beam me up yet, Scotty. There IS intelligent life here. I cut pine and aspen. I do know that the size of the motor has limitations (duh), but I just wondered if anyone had an answer off the top of their heads.

Apparently some people here have other things on top of their heads, so I guess I should have been more specific.

You have been quite clear and helpful, though. And I thank you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I bought the saw from Norwalk, but that info in in the dead carcass of a computer somewhere. We cut pine, juniper, and aspen around here. And smaller stuff at that. I think the 18 may be fine. If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy the 18-20" bar, and on the professional saw. But this being my first saw, it hasn't disappointed me yet. Just using it more and reaching its limits. (parameters)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

This is risky. I've been logging in Michigan's U.P. for a lot of years.

We bought the saw because we hired a man for $275 to cut down a tree, and he never showed up. We bought the saw for around $235, IIRC. We had the tree notched, and were cutting the final cut when a breeze blew up out of nowhere. We were scrambling to get a BIG yellow ratchet tie on it before the wind took it the other way. We were in time, and the tree dropped perfectly, impressing my wife, which is hard to do. She thought for sure it was going the other way and wiping out the swing set and shade canopy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
Steve B

I dunno. I think you have more stupid answers than I have stupid questions, so I guess I'll just let it go at that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Your too lazy to just look it up. Or you really are a novice with a computer also. Ever hear of Google, lazy ass.

So what's the next question. How to blow your nose?

How bout chain saw sharpening tricks?

Anybody ever hear of a carbide tipped chain?

Taking down (fileing) the back limiter tooth? Not to much! .015-.-025? lower than top of tooth?

Whats the best way to dull a chain? Hit the ground,? Keep a nice 5/32 fine cut rat tail file with you for touchup saw trunks with little dirt & stones? Hit a nail or fence wire burried in the tree from 30yrs ago?

I'm thinking to bring my cordless dremel with a some small grinding stones & a piece of carborandum (de glaze grinding stone) Whats quicker? change chain or touch up? Some saws are a bitch to change the chain. I hate when they get tangled!

How to keep those vapor locked McCullough's going? Dont shut'em off- they must boil the fuel in the hose whilst sitting after use - let'em cool & start right up- Grrrrrr

Anyone ever see a 2 man chain saw?

BB's #65 Let not your perception Be influenced by self-deception Point of view Is all about YOU

Reply to
cncmillgil

In Michigan, I had eight trees taken out at once for $200 ea. I thought it was reasonable. Then I asked about the 110' tall cottonwood 3'+ dia. 50' from the house. The quote was $3700. It was still there when we sold the place, but that thing kept me up nights. Too many of those monsters went down from time to time in the woods out back. Now, I don't have a tree taller than the house any where near. Hallelujah, at least until summer.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Yep - I chain them up with 2-20' logging truck chains as high as I could place on the tree - more leverage that way - and tie off to a strong tree or tractor. I make sure the direction is diverted or the tree is shorter than chain. Taking them down from the top is better.

I did one today - it was leaning towards the hot wire fence (neighbor) and I used chain. A downward facing bird mouth cut and about an inch or less hinge. Today the tree was tricky - a hack-berry and it was dense and green.

I have to cut a line of trees - they were declared to be cut by myself or cut and scrapped. I'll cut and heat with them.

The nasty tree I had this week was one that fell in from the creek zone -

18" or so and was suspended in mid air.

Mart> This is risky. I've been logging in Michigan's U.P. for a lot of years.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I did an enlightening thing today. I was in a distant city in a far off galaxy, and they sold Husqvarns saws. I stopped in and asked.

The man who has forgotten more than I know about chain saws says I can go with a 18", but not a 20".

One can learn a lot by observing, and by asking the man.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

How bout chain saw sharpening tricks?

I saw an EZ Lap bit today. Diamond studded. $6. I got one. After that, it's just the right angle, and having your rakers at the right height.

I can sharpen a dull knife with my 2" x 4" EZLap stone in less than two minutes, and that is frightfully sharp.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Did he say why?

The story I heard was that they change to 0.325" to 3/8" pitch at 20". I haven't looked for a 3/8" pitch drive sprocket because repairmen warned me the saw couldn't take the extra load for long. Too many things have broken on the saw as is.

IYou have to match the bar's slot width to the tabs under the chain. The choices are 0.050" and 0.058", which look alike.

f the saw is Swedish and German why isn't the chain designation metric?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

When the motor on my 12" Remington let out a bit of smoke, I spent $3.00 on a NIB 16" which, at the next issue of smoke, I transplanted onto my 12" sprocket nose bar, giving the longer bar and chain to second son as spares for the $3.00 Poulan "parts machine" I equipped him with the year before. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I patched up cheap used chain saws for years until an ice storm convinced me that a good dependable one is essential emergency equipment.

Still running a ~1955 lawn mower, though.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I still have a brown Lawnboy mower but haven't run it for a while - someday I want to investigate if those supposedly magnesium decks really will burn. I bought it for $15.00 in 1968 and both the older boys earned enough with it to buy themselves very nice bikes, of course I had to do the maintenance on it, but they paid for the fuel. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Maybe you should look into selling it. Some collector of antique mowers may want it. :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I found some magnesium in a batch of scrap aluminum I got for casting and tried burning a small piece in the wood stove fire. It melted first and was much harder to ignite than I expected.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Correct. I have a Craftsman/Husky (you did know that Husky made em for Craftsman ...right?) and while it came with an 18" bar..I put a 26" bar on it for cutting palm trees and big cactus. Works fine.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Craftsman L&G items have a very twisted path. Most of them up until about 1986 were made by the outdoor department of Roper. The outdoor division was then sold off and Electrolux grabbed it and renamed it AYP. This lasted up until 2006 when Electrolux spun off the outdoor division. It is still under the AYP name BUT is held under the Husqvarna name.

Now if you really are interested in chainsaws.

Husqvarna, Craftsman, Jonsereds, Skil, Pioneer, Poulan, Weed Eater McCulloch are ALL made by the same company!

Myself I run Stihl saws. But none of them would be considered a "hobby" saw. I think the shortest bar is my limbing saw with a 24" bar. It has a tiny 59cc. engine.... The big saw is a 92cc unit.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message news:XD7an.187402$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-01.dc.easynews.com...

i did some chainsawing yesterday and the day before. a year or so ago a huge (locust) tree limb broke off and fell across the road down the road from me here. the town came with a huge wheel loader and pushed it (and along with it other branches) off the road and well onto the land of a girl scout camp here. they made a nasty tangled ugly mess. it's bugged me all this time to see that mess. i had previously asked permission (girl scout camp) to saw up a huge ugly tree trunk that was lying on their land near the road and so went and sawed up this nasty tangle of branches and limbs. they got mud all mixed up in with the limbs so i dulled a chain, which was a frustrating bummer. i was thinking about this thread when i put a new sharp chain on my saw, "happiness is a sharp chainsaw chain". truly. i sawed the branches up into firewood length chunks figuring i was going to donate the firewood somewhere to someone. (i wanted this to be "volunteer" work and i didn't want anyone to be able to say "well you got the firewood!".) so, i had what for me was a rather large pile, enough to fill a full-size pick up truck bed. i called a guy i know who i worked with in the past sawing up some trees, last time he donated the wood to a deaf lady. i thought that was very nice of him and figured he'd know someone who needed it. he did. i went past there today and 98% of the pile was gone. i thought he got it. i called him and he said he didn't. the pile was kinda close to the road and so that was kind of a cue that "this pile is free", and i intended to put a "free" sign on it if my buddy didn't want it. i was kinda bummed to see someone had come and taken it. i mean, i wanted to give it away, but it would seem to me at least there was some doubt as to whether or not this wood was up for grabs. *I* sure wouldn't've taken it. thing is, while i was sawing and piling the wood i came across glass bottles (and a plastic bag) that had been thrown out into the woods over the years, i put them in with the wood hoping/thinking if someone, whoever ended up taking the wood would also take the bottles, the bottle were neatly placed next to the now vacant spot where the wood was. tell the truth i was devastated. ripped my heart out. not only did some jerk "steal" my wood but he couldn't've even been kind enough to take the (4 or 5 pieces of) "garbage". re-re-re-confirms my belief that people suck.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon