Inventorbot Challenge #3 Problem

As brand new Mindstorm users, we are trying to solve challenge #3 for the Inventorbot with our new Mindstorm set. This is the challenge to
throw an object. As configured, the speed of the engine is not enough to actually throw a item (we're using a pingpong ball), but merely moves the arm up in the air and the ball rolls down the arm. We tried making a longer arm and that did not help.
Is there something that we are doing wrong, or is this the extent of how well the challenge cn be solved?
Thanks, Biff
Biff wrote:

Perhaps the motor doesn't have to provide the motion to throw the ball, but merely to move the arm to a position where an elastic band or something similar can provide the throwing force?
Peter
Hi,
I would look into two scenarios to throw objects. Elasticsbands as suggested, or extreem gear - personally I prefer the gearing - though elastic bands does provide for amazing results too.
Good luck with it,
Daniel
Biff wrote:

You can setup a rachet and each turn of the motor tightens up a rubber band. When you release the rachet, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....
Robot Fan wrote:

Just in case you ask:
Use a floating worm gear to control the setup. When you rotate forward, it tightens up the rubber band. When you rotate backwards, it releases the rachet. :=)