50mm thick steel

Say you wanted a piece of mild steel 50mm thick and 150mm x 240mm. Where would you get it from if it were you? TIA. Rich

Someone like Pegasus Profiles would be our first call.
http://www.pegpro.co.uk
They go up to 500mm in flame cut steel.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu

I'd like to see that ...flame cut 500 mm thick ...sounds impossible .
Some metal fab shops have profile cutters ,...these only go up to around about 25mm thick ...you could get two peices and bolt them together ...other than that i have no sugestions.
all the best.markj
I'd like to see that ...flame cut 500 mm thick ...sounds impossible .
Some metal fab shops have profile cutters ,...these only go up to around about 25mm thick ...you could get two peices and bolt them together ...other than that i have no sugestions.
all the best.markj
Given sufficient O2 pressure, 50mm is no problem for flame cutting
AWEM

Actually, I see thick plate is expensive. Probably too expensive. Better with say 5 x 10mm.
(And even better, I say to myself, don't go for plate go for round).
I see 50mm dia. round on Ebay. I'll probably get that. :c)
enlightened us thusly:

Well, I probably could, I got a bit of round bar about 160 dia and about 40mm deep from one local bloke, for to make a round tapered thing to go on a wheel balancing machine.

Parker Steel. www.parkersteel.co.uk
You can price & order it over the internet on their website. I did a quick check for you, and a piece of Bright Mild Steel Flat 6" X 2" x 250mm long 080A15 (EN3) would be 26.34.
Peter

Thinking now of another cheaper way to achieve my goals. But, thanks for the site, will come in useful. Done the thing and I see the same price - 26.34. Bookmarked the site.
What's the lowest grade steel here?:
http://www.parkersteel.co.uk/macros/Hierarchy.mac/Matrix?VisitorID=1YVFJJE616E&Status=guest&From=home&table_refW
I'm simply using the steel whether I buy flat or round, as a heat sink.

http://www.parkersteel.co.uk/macros/Hierarchy.mac/Matrix?VisitorID=1YVFJJE616E&Status=guest&From=home&table_refW
Colour chart here:
http://www.parkersteel.co.uk/macros/Hierarchy.mac/Matrix?VisitorID=1YVFJJE616E&Status=guest&From=home&table_refW
Is blue lowest grade C15 in (080A15). "For general engineering, machinable & weldable. Low tensile for lightly stressed components."
I was looking at a 50mm dia. round x 50mm long. I chose blue. I saw 127! That's got to be wrong.

Definitely something wrong there, a 50mm x 3600mm bar is only around 50, so I think it must be a keying error. However, I don't think it is the right place to buy such short offcuts from, if you only want 50dia x 50 length than either someone on here to sell you a bit, or e-bay, or an ME materials supplier would be a better bet. I'd help, but I don't have any mild steel in that size.
Peter
Its priced per bar (ba)
you should be paying about 1 per inch run if buying small amounts http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/Materials/steel.htm
A 50mm length of 50mm bar is going to have a much smaller heatsink effect than your original size as it probably less than 10% the volume
Jason
--
jasonballamy

http://www.parkersteel.co.uk/macros/Hierarchy.mac/Matrix?VisitorID=1YVFJJE616E&Status=guest&From=home&table_refW
Why not ally for heatsink?

If it's only a heat sink and you're not overly bothered what size, then go down to your nearest scrap metal dealer and pick up what ever you trip over that you like the look of.
For a heat sink, (aluminium) alloy would probably be better anyway, much higher conductivity.
Richard