Aluminium welding/soldering

Don't know if this has been covered before.... Anyway, I thought I'd try it (Durafix Easyfix rods). I can solder( that's my job) but I've never been able to weld properly.... Their demo videos remind me of the typical con- they make it look so easy( but in reality the demonstrator has been doing it for 50 years). Well, I thought I'd try welding two 10mm Ali tubes, 100 mm side by side.It was actually a dodddle and the results were astounding to say the least.Every bit as neat as my soldering ! Just can't believe my luck as I need to do quite a bit for my mosquito landing gear. No, I have nothing to do with this company at all.

Reply to
TT_Man

How is the progress so far? Now new materials such as HTS2000 start appearing.

Based on this youtube

am certainly excited.

I can start making Aluminium parts. Even my butane burner can melt Aluminium. Just found out just now. Even my butane lighter can burn through Aluminium tin cans.

This Durafix and HTS2000 even has lower temperature and even stronger than Aluminium so we should be able to fabricate our own parts in Aluminium.

I shall not continue the discussion on Aluminium die casting here but as far as I am concerned, Aluminium welding is a foregone conclusion. It is a well proven technique.

It is certainly much lighter and stronger than using Glue. My problem is in getting these Alloy brazing rods. I can get it from ebay but I prefer to source it locally here at Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.

I'm surprised that many modellers are not interested in using Aluminium parts given the availability of such strong and light parts which are easy to mould and make. With so much Aluminium cans around, this is a great oppotunity to build aluminium planes that are strong, light and beautiful.

Repairing Aluminium parts is also so easy with these parts.

Reply to
othmanskn