Harrison M300 Taper Turner

I recently obtained a pukka taper turning attachment for my M300. It looks as good as new and came complete with the bed clamp and tie bar.
These parts are often missing from previous offerings Ive seen (usually on eBay). However attempts to mount it on the lathe came to nought when I eventually realised that the device needs an entirely different cross slide feed screw assembly. The feed screw for the taper turner is a `special. Its telescopic in two parts. The permanently connected taper turner prevents fore and aft movement of the screw portion. On a non-taper machine its coupled to the saddle. By this means you dont need to disconnect the feed-nut to use the device. Harrisons are looking for 675 to put a new screw assembly and feed-nut on my doormat! Does anybody know more about this subject? More usefully does any good soul know of a cheaper source of parts?
On Mon, 12 May 2008 12:07:58 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@johnsonlb.plus.net(Geoffrey Johnson) scribed thus...:

....snippity snip...... Harrisons are looking

Have you tried such as G and M Tools.... certainly not 'cheap' but well worth a try. I've been getting good secondhand Harrison stuff off them for about 12 years now... a bit steepish on pricing .. but IMHO good service and well worth a shout.
Ian
IEB wrote:

Thanks Ian, I've just tried that one. Most helpful as you suggested and knew the problem soon as I spoke. I had similarly asked around several used kit suppliers at Harrogate last week to no avail. I'm looking for the leadscrew parts that are sitting quietly snoozing in a box or drawer somewhere!
Geoff

doormat!
well
off them

good
and
last
snoozing in a

If you know the spec you could cut out the middle man, as it was almost certainly made by the Halifax Rack & Screw Co
AWEM
On Wed, 14 May 2008 17:52:45 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

Kingston Engineering in Hull used to do lengths of various types of leadscrew for you to finish off. Haven't dealt with them for a long time, worth checking.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
Peter A Forbes wrote:

checking.
Thanks Peter, I had called them earlier today. They don't do 5/8" x 10tpi as a standard. Would make one but costs soar for specials. Anyway the screw and nut are relatively easy to make. The main complication is the splined parts. The screw needs a male spline at the drive end, and the bit that the handle/power feed winds has a female spline. I'm currently working on a fabrication plan with a friend of mine. Thanks for the input Geoff
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have a spec Andrew. I'd need to spend loadsamoney to get the original parts! I see what you mean about that company though, and thanks for the suggestion. The screw and nut are relatively easy to make. The main complication is the splined parts. The screw needs a male spline at the drive end, and the bit that the handle/power feed winds has a female spline. I'm working on a fabrication plan with a friend of mine. Many thanks - Geoff.

loadsamoney
though,
complication is

and
working
Quite common practice with re-builders to slice off the original fancy bits and silver solder them onto new stock acme thread. Trick is to keep alignment with a good interferance fit for the deeper part of the engagement, with a thou or two of clearance at the outer bits so that the silver solder will wick in ok.
AWEM