Ky-Ko base (was soldering)

No joy finding Bakers fluid but I thought I'd give it one last try with some new Fry's flux (for unleaded), a really good clean and my heaviest iron. Worked OK on mild steel but still no good on the CI.

The top plate of the chimney assy (see pics

'All hot air') is actually made from a scrap Lister D main bearing cover which turns like a dream, so is probably pretty high in free graphite. This also means that there are four notches around the outer edge as the required Dia happened to be half way through the original stud holes. I had been trying to think of some way to make a virtue out of this necessity so, having given up on soldering, I peened the edge of the conical base into the notches and secured each with a small weld. I think it will look ok with a coat of paint, but it does mean that the chimney assy cannot now be easily removed from the base - the original reason for choosing to solder.

Reply to
Nick Highfield