Anyone know what's happened to J&L?

J&L or MSC/J&L, as appropriate in the UK, seem to have got a dead web site.
Window shopping via the catalogue is all very well, but there are sections
missing from it from its duty nailed to the khazi door...
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

Mark,
What seems to be not working?. Web site seems OK, login OK, last email flyer was on the 13th, last mail flyer this morning.
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:30:00 +0100, David Billington

Hah! Found it... it isn't working for current versions of Firefox :-(
Thanks for the prompt.
Mark Rand RTFM
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:42:30 +0100, Mark Rand

Works for me with Firefox 3.6.3
https://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk /
Richard
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 06:54:59 +0100, Richard Edwards

https:// works for both IE and Firefox,
http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk /
works for IE but not Firefox 3.6.3 as I've got it!
Never mind, can't remember what I was looking for now, anyway :-)
Mark Rand RTFM

We must be out of recession when people can afford to shop at J&L.I always think they double the price and call it a special offer.
Mark.
In article

Up to a point, lord Copper. Often quite true, but if you look out for the special offers, and especially their "end of line" lists, you can sometimes find some very well priced stuff.
And of course, if you need some hard-to-source stuff in a hurry, their speed of service is second-to none.
David
--
David Littlewood

If you feel I`m wrong,just say so David.We don`t need the Lord Copper bit. I would be interested in seeing some of this very well priced stuff,as they email me offers which I never see anything special about.Sometimes they will offer 35% discounts but the price is still unattractive,so,please tell who you are comparing them with that makes them look so good. Mark.
snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk wrote:

Mark,
If you don't like J&L pricing where do you normally buy your stuff from, I do like their buy upto 6pm and get it next day service. I've only been buying things in farily small quantities for maybe 20 years but am always learning the intricacies of charging structures and often a cheaper sources of materials is only found by word of mouth. Enquiring minds need to know.
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:59:31 +0100, David Billington

Actually, I'm disgusted to say that on one occasion I phoned both J&L and Cromwell about a 7" screw action circlip removing tool that a contractor needed urgently to get a bearing changed on our computer room emergency generator (They'd come over from Belgium without a full toolkit).
Having it in stock was far more important than price. But just saying who I was phoning from (work) got me a 40% discount over the normal offer price, even though I wasn't the purchasing dept and the contractor was going to drive over, collect and pay with a personal credit card.
I must remember to try that next time I need something.
Mark Rand RTFM
In article

Guess you didn't get the literary joke, Mark.

Bought some clearance tool tips from them last year at 1-odd each, and some branded 3/4" end mills, nice Eclipse dial indicator & stand, and a nice grooving set. Their price on screwcutting tips undercuts Greenwood by a good margin, and their price on gauge plate is reasonable. May have been able to find it cheaper if I had infinite time to look around.
David
--
David Littlewood

I got it alright David,I think it`s you that doesn`t.Maybe you should try more reading.Consider the reason why you were given two eyes and one mouth.
Mark.
In article

Mark, for goodness sake lighten up. If you got the literary reference and still got offended, then that is a cause of mild regret, but not an apology.
This NG has never been a humour-free zone, and you getting offended for no good reason isn't going to make it one. It has OTOH been remarkably free of personal insults, please let's keep it that way.
David
--
David Littlewood

It seems that in addition to being Pillington`s spokesman you are now keeper of the group.Let me tell you I have been posting here a long,long time and will continue to post what I want,when it suits me,and,if you`re not happy about it,tough.
Mark.
On 21/04/2010 10:36, mar

Because two eyes allows stereoscopic sound reception and therefore the ability to place the source of the sound, while there is no converse benefit to emitting speech from two adjacent sources?
On 21/04/2010 12:32, Cliff Ray wrote:

Woops , don't know the difference between eyes and ears :P
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:37:37 +0100, Cliff Ray <namnocATgotadslcouk> wrote:

Could be quite handy for sign language in a crowded room :-)
GD&R
Mark Rand RTFM

So what's the alternative when I only buy the occaisional small tool etc? My time is valuable and I can't afford to waste it visiting shops or trawling the internet.
Cliff Coggin.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk / http://www.chronos.ltd.uk / http://www.tilgear.info/sections/215/engineering_andamp_turning /

I guess it's horses for courses, and if you find these companies satisfactory then you are fortunate. I have used RDG and the quality of their products varies from good to totally unusable, so I tend to avoid them. I have also used Chronos a few times and found their products good, but their prices did not strike me as cheap, nor have they the range of tools that J&L have. Tilgear are new to me, but a glance at their range seems to me limited.
Cliff.