Apex Auctions: Reid Gear Co

I am intending to go to the viewing day for a browse; if anyone wants extra photos taken of something they fancy a closer look at, but don't wish to travel north on spec, my photographic skills not withstanding. I could also organise postage of smaller lots if required.

David

Reply to
david

Oops, forgot the link

david

Another iffy auction.Whole plant bought by Westminster Machine Tools.Place has been closed six months or so and they have been trying to sell it piece by piece.Not worked so an "auction" will now be held. There are very few pure auctions nowadays.A lot of the auction companies are joint ventures amongst machine tool dealers.Most companies being auctioned have been bought by dealers from the receivers and are offered for sale as an auction but a true auction used to be without reserve.You will never find that now. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Rather sad really, there can't be many other gear cutters left in the UK, if any with this size capacity. A company like this liquidating due uncompetitiveness I can understand, but retirement? I'm making an assumption here, but that surely means that UK engineering plc just lost 50 or so skilled machinist jobs and probably a half dozen designer/sales engineer jobs for NO GOOD REASON. Does anyone else find that worrying?

Reply to
hidetheelephants

I doubt they employed fifty machinists and more than one or two if any designers.Still plenty gearcutters about,without thinking I can name Lamond & Murray on my doorstep and Northern Tool & Gear a little bit further away in Arbroath.I think peakassetsales.co.uk have two sales on the go in one company where there are a lot of gear machines.In fact IIRC it`s the 3rd and 4th sale here.Probably an automotive supplier.

Reply to
mark