Balls

How are balls made?
I want to make some balls from probably monel or maybe brass/bronze, about
10 - 12 mm dia or so. They have to be pretty accurate and with good surfaces
(they are for high pressure ball valves).
Any ideas? Anything like that available elsewhere? so I don't have to make
them and can just buy them at non-silly prices?
Thanks
Reply to
Peter Fairbrother
If the price doesn't sound too bad, you might try: McMaster-Carr
they carry all kinds of balls, e.g. Item No. 9617K42. (Use their search box for other sizes and/or materials). They cost about £7.50 for 25 - I sure wouldn't spend the time making them for that :-).
Haggis.
Reply to
noone
Yummy. Thanks a lot.
Reply to
Peter Fairbrother
In the US most tooling suppliers carry a variety of brass and stainles
steel balls. Bronze can be found but is quite a bit more expensive. The stainless come in a variety of grades including machinable grades. Most of the low cost ones are +/- 0.0002 inch tolerance. Both th brass and stainless cost about US$15 for a package of 25 in 7/1 diameter size. I have seen metric balls also, but they are not commo in the US. I would guess the UK tooling suppliers would have them fo similar prices. For reference go to
and search fo brass balls.
Gai
-- GailInN ----------------------------------------------------------------------- GailInNM's Profile:
this thread:
GailInNM
Here is one selling the most weird balls in almost any material. Need monocrystal balls? Hollow? Glass? Whatever?
Don't know about the prices.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
These folks have bronze balls in their catalogue - I've never dealt with them yet, but planning to!

Steve W
In article , Peter Fairbrother writes
Thought for a moment you were referring back to the recent thread on songs.
David
Reply to
David Littlewood
On or around Sat, 07 Apr 2007 00:20:42 +0100, Peter Fairbrother enlightened us thusly:
shot tower?
dunno, is the short answer, but I suspect you're better off buying 'em. chance are you can buy the valves...
Reply to
Austin Shackles
On or around Sat, 07 Apr 2007 00:20:42 +0100, Peter Fairbrother enlightened us thusly:
not any help, but:
from
Austin Shackles
Bearing Services Ltd (BSL) will either stock or be able to get them for you in a variety of materials incl Phosphor bronze & stainless.
I suspect any bearing supplier will do the same - yellow pages would be my first place to look.
Good luck
Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin