Balls

How are balls made?
I want to make some balls from probably monel or maybe brass/bronze, about 10 - 12 mm dia or so. They have to be pretty accurate and with good surfaces
(they are for high pressure ball valves).
Any ideas? Anything like that available elsewhere? so I don't have to make them and can just buy them at non-silly prices?
Thanks
--
Peter Fairbrother

If the price doesn't sound too bad, you might try: McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/) they carry all kinds of balls, e.g. Item No. 9617K42. (Use their search box for other sizes and/or materials). They cost about 7.50 for 25 - I sure wouldn't spend the time making them for that :-).
Haggis.
snipped-for-privacy@telus.com wrote:

Yummy. Thanks a lot.
--
Peter Fairbrother

In the US most tooling suppliers carry a variety of brass and stainles
steel balls. Bronze can be found but is quite a bit more expensive. The stainless come in a variety of grades including machinable grades. Most of the low cost ones are +/- 0.0002 inch tolerance. Both th brass and stainless cost about US$15 for a package of 25 in 7/1 diameter size. I have seen metric balls also, but they are not commo in the US. I would guess the UK tooling suppliers would have them fo similar prices. For reference go to www.mscdirect.com and search fo brass balls.
Gai
-- GailInN ----------------------------------------------------------------------- GailInNM's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u 82 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tf800
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Here is one selling the most weird balls in almost any material. Need monocrystal balls? Hollow? Glass? Whatever?
<http://www.nanoball.com
Don't know about the prices.
Nick
--
***********************************
*** The lowcost DRO ***

These folks have bronze balls in their catalogue - I've never dealt with them yet, but planning to!
http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/bruce-engineering/materials.asp

Thought for a moment you were referring back to the recent thread on songs.
David
--
David Littlewood

On or around Sat, 07 Apr 2007 00:20:42 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

shot tower?
dunno, is the short answer, but I suspect you're better off buying 'em. chance are you can buy the valves...
On or around Sat, 07 Apr 2007 00:20:42 +0100, Peter Fairbrother
not any help, but:
http://sheldonbrown.com/lirpa.html
from
http://sheldonbrown.com/humor/index.html

surfaces
Bearing Services Ltd (BSL) will either stock or be able to get them for you in a variety of materials incl Phosphor bronze & stainless.
I suspect any bearing supplier will do the same - yellow pages would be my first place to look.
Good luck
Bob