Bandsaw drive belt

Got 'given' a case of aerosol grease. Unicorn Chemicals Premium Grease. In a fit of madness I decided to apply a little of said lube to the drive wheel bearing on my bandsaw. There was a little unpleasantness and the drive belt had an adverse reaction with the lube, went rock hard, disintegrated and left me with a bit of string and some brittle bits of 'what used to be a belt'....whoops! Problem is...my bandsaw has no name or make on it. The drive belt in question, when measured around the pulleys is approx 320mm, with a bit of adjustment on the tensioner. The belt had 5 grooves on it, total width of belt was about 15 - 18mm. Does anybody know of a reliable source for replacement belts? Tried the local belt and bearing suppliers but the smallest that they do is just too big. Tried a belt off a vacuum cleaner but it just throws it off. I have a load of insulating pieces to cut and the drop-type metal bandsaw is too aggresive.

Many thanks

Reply to
grumpyat

Just managed to destroy my drive belt on the bandsaw. The problem is that there is no makers name on the unit. The belt in question is/was about 15mm wide and approx 320mm circumference. [based on it being this distance measured with a bit of string around the drives]. It had 5 grooves in it. I have tried the local bearing/belt suppliers to no avail. There smallest belt was far too big. I tried a vacuum cleaner belt....still too big.

Anybody got any ideas where I could get one from.?

FWIW I let some aerosol grease get onto the pulley/belt and the solvent/grease totalled the belt in seconds. Turned it rock hard then it disintegrated. It appeared to be reinforced with 'thread', now all I have is some very brittle bits dangling on a bit of tatty string!! ......and NO functioning bandsaw.... Whoops

Reply to
grumpyat

Hi,

Sounds like it is a J5 section poly V belt. A yellow pages search for bearing factors and the like should find a dealer selling such things locally. 320mm is pretty small. most of the BS I have seen with small belts have used a toothed belt. You might have to order one but BSL certainly seem to be able to get most things next day.

I guess I don't have to say 'clean off all traces of the grease before fitting the new one'

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Sounds like a Poly Vee belt, J series Hardest part is getting the right belt length. You say 320mm, some makers mark their belts in total length in mm but most use a belt number based on inches and it's always in 1" increments so a 140 is 14" or 356mm long

As 320 doesn't work out to any exact inch mark [ 12.5" ] chances are it's a 130 belt as these lie on the pulleys and the effective length is round a track slightly bigger than the pulleys.

So if I'm on the right track you are looking for a J5 130 or 130 J5 however they call them.

5 grooves isn't that common, they usually go 4, 6, 8 etc but if you can't get a 6 on then you can slice a band off with a Stanley knife.

As a point of interest they make these in a big long length and cut them anyway. Regards,

John Stevenson L Stevenson [ Engineers ]

Reply to
John Stevenson

5 grooves is quite common on car stuff, and car belts are measured in mm. A trip to a decent motor factors (who ideally sell Gates belts), and they should be able to match it to something.

Certainly at work, one of our suppliers can match most poly vee belts (we service a lot of stuff with non-standard equipment, so odd ball belts are quite common).

Reply to
moray

How about a picture of said saw

then one of us can ID it

for instance i have a saw with the Draper name on it ...that is identical to an Electra beckham model in every way..

this has a polly v-belt on it about the size you mention ..

also ..mentioned in another answer.... car belts....dont think you will find any car having a 320mm circumference belt.

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

Many thanks to all. Sorry about the double posting but the server appeared to be down so I re-typed it , then it got posted twice. Off to the motor factors tomorrow. I thought Swan Bearings in Preston may have had one, but their shortest was just too long.

Reply to
grumpyat

I know its not the same ,but I had the drive belt on the Myford disintergrate , I found a belt called Power Twist made by Fenner ,it's similar to the old Brammer belt ,but this has no pins in it ,you can fit it by hand ,it has tabs and slots as opposed to the Brammer which has pins an slots.The Brammer is a cow to get together .I tried the Brammer type ,but the pins make it impossible to change speeds on the head stock pulleys as there is little clearance between the yoke and the pulley edge. Any way I replaced my Myford belt with this Power Twist ,quick and easy , no dis-assembly of the head stock to fit it.I bought four feet and it cost me about $18.00AUD .So far it's working, it is also oil and chemical resistant.

The down side is I think it only comes in A section and B section.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Whilst perusing the Machine Mart catalogue I saw a similar [ish] looking machine, emailed Machine Mart.

Ordered 3 belts, total cost incl p&p =A3 6.85.

Arrived today and were a perfect match!!!!! Still no idea where I got the machine from though. I f anybody can shed any light on it...it is similar to a Machine Mart CBS 250 in green, no identification marks on it anywhere though-but. Thanks

Reply to
grumpyat

same as mine ... electra bekem and draper are also the same ...as i said earlier .

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark