Big 3-phase generator

OK I Know I'm mad - don't tell me
I'm in the market for a large (80-150 KW) 3 phase generator set -
preferably a self contained unit in a silenced enclosure - things like
a redundant standby set from a factory or small hospital would be
nice.
This is to power a small (relative term!) induction furnace
So if you know of something please let me know.
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Are the neighbours starting to complain about their lights going dim??
You've probably noticed, but sizeable generators come up quite often on ebay, some of the older ones go for what seem to me quite reasonable prices even if ex-standby but of course the older ones aren't generally in nice wooly boxes.
Cheers Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service
Reply to
Tim Leech
Have you looked at the cost of getting a 200 amp 3 phase supply to run the furnace ? Have you got a 3P supply and if so how big is it ?
A 150 kW generator will be a very large box ( 1.5 x 1.5 x 4 m ? ) If the box is not important I might know where a generator with a tarpaulin thrown over it is.
Reply to
Jonathan Barnes
Jonathan,
Three phase supply is realistically out of the question as the point of use is 200 yds from the highway, and they quoted me £3000 10 years ago to get it just 'over the boundry' - anyway it's likely we will move in the next five years so a generator is more attractive.
Tell me more about the 'under tarpaulin' one as I've just comitted to the furnace purchase !!! Boxes can be made if the price is right !!!!!
Andrew
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Can't help you with the 80-150kW range, since we only bought ours four years ago and it's not written off yet. However, if you want a 6MW peak (but not really happy above 4.5MW) 12 Cyl engine and generator you can have it for free. Only catch is that you have to remove it from the building and reinstate the building afterwards.
Other than that I would expect £2500 for the cable plus the £3000 you have been quoted for the supply. Sounds ok to me {:-)>
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Thanks Mark - the thought of 6MW or even 4.5MW is tempting but perhaps a 'step too far' I think !
But keep those offers rolling in folks !
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Sorry, It's been shipped out to Iran ( sold for £ 3000 )
The people who had it say generators are selling like hot cakes out there.
They do have a Rolls Royce 664 kVA unit for 14,000, would leave you a little bit of spare capacity.... :-)
Reply to
Jonathan Barnes
Hi
You could try Ramco who do Government surplus.
They can be a bit expensive but they have got some big generators
Usual disclaimer about having nothing to do with company.
Chris
Reply to
Chris
message
comitted to
Chris,
Many thanks for that pointer - I'll follow it up
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson