Boxford 8" Shaper Feed Problem

Hello Guys

Can anyone help me with a problem I have with the feed mechanism on m Boxford 8" shaper please? What happens currently is that feed unit does not 'click' and turn th lead screw. I have cleaned and lubricarted all of the mechanism, to n avail. What I have found is that holding onto the vernier dials effects a cur and I have put cable tie around the dials to increase the tension. I works but doesn't look pretty. Is there some sort of clutch system i the feed mechanism and can it be adjusted? Any help would be greatl appreciated. Thank you.

Chris Ros

-- tufocj

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tufocjr's Profile:

this thread:

tufocjr

Tighten the gib's up.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Hi, Tighten the two nuts on the end of the feedscrew also make sure there is not ridges or grooves in the ratchet pawl. Regards. Ben

Reply to
Ben

Hope I'm not stating the obvious, eggs sucking etc. .. but ...

That last line suggests there might not be a fault at all ? When I first got my shaper I had something similar, but what I do automatically these days is wind out by hand, wind in by hand, in the direction wanted, then engage the feed. i.e. sort of prime the feed .... it only takes a second.

Cheers, Peter W.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks very much John

Tightening up the gibs did the trick, easy when you know how, grea stuff, thanks again Chris Ros

-- tufocj

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tufocjr's Profile:

this thread:

tufocjr

Thanks also to Peter and Ben, what a great system, only joined yesterda

and I have a solution to my problem already.

Chris Ros

-- tufocj

this thread:

tufocjr

Didn't get the original message, so I have to answer here. Does the feed-screw rotate a bit back and forth when the feed is engaged? If so, readjust the feedscrew. I guess it has too much play and needs to have some resistance to rotate it for the feed to work properly.

But I might be wrong.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller