Bridgeport series 1 with Heidenhain DRO

When switching from metric to imperial, all that happens is the decimal point moves over 1. Movement of a slide is still metric? To clarify... move
handle on table so dial moves between divisions, .020 mm I think. DRO gives the same in metric, but 0.20 in imperial? Am I going mad ??? Bob
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 07:30:42 -0000, "Emimec"

The older Heidenhain DROs, the ones with the VCR-shaped box, don't convert a metric reading to an Imperial, or vice versa. Any reading on the screen will remain, just with the decimal point moved, Any fresh table movement will be in the new standard.
Cheers Tim

move
gives
Even the slightly newer ones that are squarer don't do the conversion either - model 731 (?) from memory

Thanks all I must admit I don't recall seeing a new standard when moving the dial more, will study this on Monday. On the subject of the MDI, anyone got a spare Heidenhain power board, or knowledge to fault find? Bob
Emimec wrote:

Bob. The first thing to look at might be the electrolytic capacitors. After all this time they could be getting pretty dodgy.
I have a tnc145 power board here, but it's a non working unit. Never did have time to look at it.
Wayne....

If you get time to sort it, or want to sell it in its present state, let me know, I'm very interested. I can live with not switching the machine off for a while, but would prefer the board to be "right", experience has proved to me that when a last minute job is in the machine, that's when they act up !! Bob

Didnt realise electrolytic capaciters can degrade with age ? I have to add I'm no electronic bod. Bob

It's common on switch mode power supplies the can dry out in hot equipment and are fine while running but after being turned of and cooling down the switch mode power supply will fail to start up again I have a SLR meter some where that checks them in circuit for the cost its worth replacing them to see if the fault is cured Andrew

Very interesting, and thank you, My ignorance is starting to show now, I have no idea what a switch mode power supply is, or a SLR ? Bob

Should of read ESR see this linkhttp://xtronics.com/reference/esr.htm

Thanks, as clear as mud now !!! I think thats one for someone with far more knowledge than me. I'm sure somewhere in there, was an answer or reasoning. Hopefully one of my college bods may decypher it for me. Kind Regards Bob

Andrew Bishop wrote:

... and it is important, that the new caps have at least the same max. temperature.
Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***
Nick Mueller wrote:

Also voltage rating and last and not least that they are soldered in the correct way around!
Wayne...

Wayne Would you consider selling the faulty board you mentioned earlier in this thread? Bob

cured
same max.

in the

this
Bob,
A Bridgeport MDI has just popped up on eBay - 750 at the moment - might get you out of trouble.
AWEM

The one on Ebay looks awful compared to my machine. My one works ok at the moment, I will change the capacitors on the main board over the xmas period. I was only asking about the faulty board as I have a machine that can take it, and it could be worth my while getting it repaired ready for a quick swop over, thus keeping the machine in production. I am also open to a "service exchange". It is no real problem for me to leave it on and dim the screen and hit the cut out button while I'm not using it. To be honest, it does fire up sometimes straight away, but when you really need it, it doesnt, and I have to switch it on and off countless times. Makes me think the capacitors are gradually reaching a peak before working? Bob

Emimec wrote:

That, or the switch nearing his end of life. The switch is easily checked.
Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

Switch was checked, and its ok Bob
Emimec wrote:

Bob
Take a look at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fdosdesign/temp/Copy%20of%20tnc_psu_front.jpg
and
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fdosdesign/temp/Copy%20of%20tnc_psu_back.jpg
Tell me if it's the correct type for your control.
Have no idea whats wrong with it, it came with another control, and was probably the original PSU.
I can let you know what other boards I still have if you like.
Wayne....

Yes, that's my one..... I would be interested also in your other boards, many thanks. If you prefer to contact me privately, please do so. Bob