Broaches

Can anyone point me to a supplier of broaches, I'm after about 1/8" square.

Thanks Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

In article , Kevin writes

Kevin,

Not an expert on broaches, but AIUI they normally come 5 sided, not square, which reduces chatter. Jewellers and clockmakers suppliers stock them, for example H S Walsh:

Hope this helps.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

That's a clockmakers or watchmakers broach, David.

He's after one for making square holes, by being pushed through from one side to the other.

Some home made ones from the Sherline site.

Dumont, the broach people, AFAIK.
Pretty much every tool supply outfit that has a catalog, is able to sell them, as will a lot of the outfits that do not print a catalog, for that matter.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Oh dear, silly me. It was late ....

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Exactly what I want, anyone know where I can get one in the UK

-without having to make it myself

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

j and l industrial sell them,

square is DMB-66601C once you see the price tho youll probably want to make it yourself. have you tried tracy cutting tools? they sometims have these sort of things in

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Thanks Dave, I looked on their website but I can never find anything on it. See what you mean about price though, I'd be a bit upset about breaking one!

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin, Broaches for square holes are not cheap but they are available from Marlco Ltd and you should find them on the web. Broaches are not too difficult to make from silver steel, depending on the length of hole you wish to broach. If you are trying to broach material less that about 2mm thick you will only get one tooth engaged at a time and you should always have at least 2. If you are using thin material you may be able to make a punch and die.

David

Reply to
davidwbailey1067