Cable for three phase lathe

Can anyone suggest where I can get some cable to run a three phase lathe from, it needs to be rated for 7.5HP/5.5KW. Can't seem to find any
anywhere!
Online would be good, otherwise Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire way.
Oh yes, by the meter would be handy! I only need about 3 meters of the stuff and would like to avoid a 25/50m reel of the stuff.
Thanks
Stephen.
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:47:51 GMT, "Stephen Woolhead"

We have 4-core 4mm HOFR (TRS in old money) here if you want to call in, we're in Luton. We've got about a 6metre offcut on the floor (new cable)
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:34:42 +0100, Prepair Ltd

What does HOFR stand for, Peter?
I've been able get cut lengths of 3-core + earth (PVC or equivalent) for fixed wiring,only up to 2.5mm I think, from the likes of City Electrical with no trouble.
Cheers Tim
Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

I thought I had responded to the group, but it must have gone to Tim directly.
HOFR is Harmonised Oil resistant Fire Retardent.
Peter
-- Peter & Rita Forbes snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Engine pages for preservation info: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Stephen Woolhead wrote:

Wicks carry 10m 3 core 25amp steel wire armoured cable, you will have to provide another earth, or use the armouring (I didn't say that really!!!)
Joules

SWA is really for burial or being clipped against a wall or cable tray. The cable we offered was standard heavy-duty TRS rubber cable, 3 phases plus earth.
For armoured flexibles you can buy Sy-Flex which is a clear PVC sheath over armoured braid then flexible cores inside. We have some 7-core 6mm lengths of that one, and it is only about 4 a metre plus VAT to buy trade.
The braid is not really supposed to be used as an earth core except on the SWA where it has to be used with special glands that capture the armouring and provide continuity of the earthing.
Peter
-- Peter & Rita Forbes snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Engine pages for preservation info: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:57:48 +0000 (UTC), Peter A Forbes

I use this (4-core) on my Ward grinder & Ward lathe (different Ward companies) as they share a wall socket & I have to unplug one to plug in the other. I was surprised at how reasonable the price was. In fact I've generally been very pleasantly surprised at cable preices recently. I bought a drum of 2.5mm yellow arctic not long ago, when they told me the price I didn't believe it - because it was so low!! Have there been big reductions in recent years?
Cheers Tim
Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

online
Farnell in one
www.farneiiinone.co.uk
For 1.5 mm x 4 core cable, ( 15 amp) per meter part # 385-2957, at 1.00 per metre.
several other sizes and core numbers available
BTW I think regulations have changed and even if you use the correct glands with SWA cable you must still have an earth wire as well.
Jonathan
Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.
To reply remove AT

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:05:44 +0100, "Jonathan Barnes"

For cases where Peter doesn't have suitable off-cuts littering his floor, try:- http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk /
They seem to be quite helpful and have a good stock range.
Mark Rand (no connection, just a satisfied customer) RTFM
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:05:44 +0100, "Jonathan Barnes"
<snip>

Still permitted under section 543-02-05 16th Ed Wiring Regs. provided that it's protected from corrosion, has its continuity verified and is of sufficient cross sectional area for the circuit rating.
Mark Rand RTFM