Carlisle auction

You know folks, over the last few months the machinery auction at Carlisle

had quite a few really good buys for anyone looking for engineering, woodwork and machine tools. A couple of months ago there was a Herbert slotter bid to =A3150 (not sold), and an older Matchmaker CNC mill (the CNC probably didn't work, but it was of the type that could be ditched and replaced with the trusty handwheel) for the same sort of money. Last month there was a

3' Archdale radial arm drill (which had been fitted with a DC injector unit) for about the same price. Today there was a 10" swing Southbend, with 2 face plates, a travelling steady, TAPER TURNING ATT. and both chucks for =A350. It looked like a bit of an old mangle (which is generally true of all the above lots too), but was fundamentally OK and really just needed some lovin'... In the past there have been Southbends, Hendeys, Milnes and older Harrisons/Colchesters (mostly about the 5-6" CH size, various lengths) all for about the =A330-=A350 mark. =A380-=A3120 has seen some actually pre= tty good milling machines and surface grinders too... Almost all are now gradually heading for China. OK, so I fully understand and accept that none of the above are in any way new, shiny, unworn or (in most cases) painted and probably wouldn't split the atom willingly, but all would provide a cheap nucleus of a home workshop. How many people do we all know who have thought about taking up a hobby like ours (y'know... a proper "manly" one LOL) then looked at the magazines or ebay and been discouraged by the prices asked for tools and equipment?? This would give them a viable start. I'm not trying to start a ranting contest here, I just thought you guys might like to know of an alternative source for gear. Cheers, Scruff. PS I forgot to mention welding gear. There are almost always trusty old oilboxes (Oxfords, Citringan, Pickhills & Olympics as well as the occasional Triangle and Quasiarc) to be had for a minimal outlay of beer tokens. Or if you'd prefer, there's usually the odd engine driven one too...
Reply to
Scruff

Shame that I'm at the other end of the country.

On second thoughts maybe it's not such a bad thing. It would only promote domestic discord.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I have _heard_ of 'Domestic Bliss', but I'm not sure I've ever actually experienced it.....

Reply to
Richard

Of course you have, it's when SWMBO is engrossed in something "really important" in one of the many soaps and you can sneak away completely untroubled to the workshop. Domestic discord is what follows when you have failed to do whatever task you were set before the programme started.:-)

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk