Case hardening questions

Hello all,
I have a couple of questions about case hardening. I've bought some
powder to do the job from Chronos. The last time I did this (at school
about mumblety-mumble years ago) I heated the job to straw colour, then
dumped it in the hardening medium (which, if I recall correctly was old
engine oil!) then came back a while later. Is that still the way to go?
Secondly, the thing I'm trying to harden was made from a piece of random
steel grabbed from the "come in handy" rack. It was only when I dropped
it down the back of the lathe and the magnet-onna-stick didn't work that
I realised it's probably stainless. It cuts beautifully, so I assume
it's probably leaded as well. Is this likely to be hardenable (is that
even a word?)?
It's a drift to fit motorcycle gudgeon pins, so it doesn't need to be
*very* hard, but hard enough not to gall when gently tapped would be
good.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply to
Nigel Eaton
if you find a way to harden stainless let me know..... i design and make surgical instrumentsfor a living, if i want something to be reasonably hard i have to use a grade called 17/4 (precipitaion hardening) ..... if it needs to be a bit harder its carpenter 405 (expensive dosnt come close... £100/ft for 6mmØ) if you are looking for tool steel hardness you need a grade called 420, which, if hardend correctly (in a sianide bathe) can be hardened close to tool steel., but as you can imagine.... surgeons dont much like the idea of using an instrument that has been hardened in sianide.
Reply to
Tim Bird
Shouldnt that word be cyanide. Rotty
Reply to
Ben
The instructions on my casenite say
heat to red heat, dip in powder, re-heat to red, then quench in water.
Obviously, this is for mild steel. It works, the gudgeon pins I made for Sweet Pea were so hard after this that they were brittle, and I broke one tapping it in.
AFAIK you can't harden stainless.
Reply to
Martin L
No Nigel, the Alzheimer's is kicking in again :-) What you describe is the tempering part of hardening and tempering. The powder type doesn't require tempering as it only puts an outside hard case on material that normally can't be hardened by flame. To use, heat to cherry red dip in and roll in compound [ the part that is, not you ] and allow to cool in the compound. Reheat to cherry again and quench into clean water. slender articles need to be done vertical to stop the shock warping the part. This will put about a 5 thou case on the part. Thicker cases need another repeat. When done correctly you should have a matt grey, mottled finish to the part.
Stainless can't be hardened this way but still try it as you have nothing to loose. If you can only convert part to a harder material it's got to be better.
Gudgeon pins are best fitted with a piece of tube, a leather patch to stop the tube scratching the piston and a length of thread rod to act as a puller. Washer and nut one end of the pin, small enough to pass through the piston. Tube and large washer the other side, tube large enough and long enough to accept the pin. Tighten the nut at the tube end and it will draw the pin out with no damage.
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
Reply to
John Stevenson
Case hardening only penetrates a few thou into the material, so it should have had no effect on the core of your pin. Could there have been some carbon in the steel that they were made from, as heating to cherry red and quenching would harden anything but mild steel. Case hardening certainly shouldn't make anything brittle.
Regards
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Steele
You are right - heating/quenching is a problem when you don't know what sort of steel you're working with. I remember case hardening the hammer on my .45 auto (a few years ago that!), first shot broke it in half. It wasn't the case that did that.
ChrisH
Reply to
ChrisH
In article , John Stevenson writes
Who are you? Is it time for my tea?
(Snip)
Cheers.
This is a factory "special tool" that I'm making for someone from drawings. It's probably not what I'd do, but there y'go.
Thanks again.
Reply to
Nigel Eaton
Perhaps it was the head-case holding the hammer?
Reply to
Airy R. Bean
"Airy R. Bean, village idiot" took a short break
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI
Of course...... i had had 1 or 2 beer by the time i manged to post........ so didnt have my spelling head on...
typical lol......... but then.... i am an engineer.... i dont need to be able to spell lol
Reply to
Tim Bird
Why do you have to use cyanide to harden 420? If you use 420C or 440C, they are hardenable stainless alloys. Heat it and quench it. For best results, a reducing atmosphere, and careful heating per manf instructions.
Reply to
geoff_m