Case hardening question

I'm working on a Savage .17 HMR for a neighbor , and he's lost a part . The spring clip that retains the firing pin , extractor , and
"cartridge guide" has broken and the guide piece is lost - and I haven't been able to source one to replace it . The spring is on order from Numrich as soon as they can get their doors back open it should be on the way . The guide is basically a mirror image of the extractor , and I have one 90% complete , but I'm wondering if I need to case harden it . I have the stuff , but have one question about post-hardening heat treatment . Where this is a thin layer of hard over a soft core , I'm wondering if I just need to heat , dip in the Kasenite , reheat to red heat and quench , or do I need to temper it after hardening . Or even if I need to harden it at all , It's not under a lot of stress , and the only metal to metal contact will be with brass cases . This is a very small part , about .060" thick by .140" wide and about an inch long .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

You probably did, but did you check with Brownells? They have some Savage parts.
--
cheers,

John B.
On Wed, 13 May 2020 11:18:55 +0700, John B.

I'f think case hardening would extend it's life. The soft core would give it strength. Generally case harfened parts are used "as is" or "as treated".
On 5/13/2020 2:04 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

That's what I thought , but it never hurts to check with folks that heave more experience with this sort of thing .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 5/12/2020 11:18 PM, John B. wrote:

Yup , and their selection of Savage parts does not include this one .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Am Mittwoch, 13. Mai 2020 16:21:45 UTC+2 schrieb Bob La Londe:

How thick is that spring steel from McMaster, and how do you cut it to size?
Thanks!
Chris