Case Hardening Again

One recipe I've found is purely charcoal with 1% Washing Soda added.
What's the washing soda for?
TIA
Steve
Reply to
Steve W
Aids the carbon in being absorbed.
That's what I am led to beleive, anyways. Chem was not one of the courses that stuck, so take that on advisement.
Guy Lautard's Second and Third Machinist's Bedside Readers cover color case hardening.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
Gets the black off your hands.............................
.
Reply to
John Stevenson