High-quality charcoal for hardening?

Old book recommends bone charcoal for casehardening... after asking
around, I learned this is because of its consistency, much less fluffy
than most wood charcoals. Didn't harden my steel, but I WAS intrigued
at this point.
Recently while hogging up some cherries, it allofasudden popped into
my head that the cherry stones might be hard & dense enough to make a
good charcoal which would be denser than oak charcoal, but maybe a
little less dense than bone charcoal. Plus, if I stewed most of the
soluble salts out of them, they'd be mostly carbon (guess you could
use them for making art pencil sticks too)... unlike bones, which
contain a lot of calcium, phosphate, traces of silicon, and many other
things.
Provided a person could save up enough of them, I'd be inclined to
think that cherry stones, apricot pits, peach pits, walnut shells, and
pistachio shells, would all make good, dense charcoal. From what I
understand, WW1 German gas masks were made with activated charcoal mfd
from peach pits.
Guy Richards
Reply to
That Guy Again
The Machinists Bedside Readers books 2 and 3 have a pile of info on DIY color case hardening. One suggestion was to save yourself the misery and mess of charring your own by buying a bag of bone charcoal at the garden store. It's cheap, apparently.
if you did not know of these books.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones