Charcoal

Well, I finally got around to burning three winters worth of ground fall wood today. My goal was to build a smokeless fire, sort out the old burn pile where the #%&*! fence people had left a bunch of pressure-treated wood, and keep the fire from being large enough to affect weather patterns all over the state.

So I built my fire and kept it open, adding wood to it as it needed and as I got motivated (fried my fingers though -- I always end up burning my fingers under the nails when I burn wood). The wood is a hardwood/softwood/new wood/rotten wood mix. About 3/4 of the way through the process I realized that not only had I burnt a bunch of trash wood, I also had a _big_ pile of charcoal smoldering away. So I let the last of the fire burn down & overhauled what was left, raking it out and spraying water on it.

Now I have about 4 to 6 cubic feet of nice looking charcoal for a mornings work, and most of that work I had to do anyway.

Now I just have to figure out how to store it, and learn how to use it.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Welding gloves are cheap enough to have a pair dedicated to this sort of abuse. Better them than you.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Well, _IF_ I can remember I'll get some. I generally think of these things at the point where I'm wondering why my fingers hurt.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Anybody here see that documentary about the boys in Brazil that make charcoal for a living? At first I was thinking it was on a Discovery Channel but the more I think about, I think it was on Link TV. Anybody else seen it?

I wonder if there's a way to see it besides waiting for it to come around a again?

Just between you and me I wouldn't want to try to make charcoal without watching that show first. ;)

Alvin in AZ (libertarian watching Link TV, weird huh? ;)

Reply to
alvinj