Charcoal

Well, I finally got around to burning three winters worth of ground fall wood today. My goal was to build a smokeless fire, sort out the old
burn pile where the #%&*! fence people had left a bunch of pressure-treated wood, and keep the fire from being large enough to affect weather patterns all over the state.
So I built my fire and kept it open, adding wood to it as it needed and as I got motivated (fried my fingers though -- I always end up burning my fingers under the nails when I burn wood). The wood is a hardwood/softwood/new wood/rotten wood mix. About 3/4 of the way through the process I realized that not only had I burnt a bunch of trash wood, I also had a _big_ pile of charcoal smoldering away. So I let the last of the fire burn down & overhauled what was left, raking it out and spraying water on it.
Now I have about 4 to 6 cubic feet of nice looking charcoal for a mornings work, and most of that work I had to do anyway.
Now I just have to figure out how to store it, and learn how to use it.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Welding gloves are cheap enough to have a pair dedicated to this sort of abuse. Better them than you.

Ecnerwal wrote:

Well, _IF_ I can remember I'll get some. I generally think of these things at the point where I'm wondering why my fingers hurt.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Anybody here see that documentary about the boys in Brazil that make charcoal for a living? At first I was thinking it was on a Discovery Channel but the more I think about, I think it was on Link TV. Anybody else seen it?
I wonder if there's a way to see it besides waiting for it to come around a again?
Just between you and me I wouldn't want to try to make charcoal without watching that show first. ;)
Alvin in AZ (libertarian watching Link TV, weird huh? ;)