Dampen anvil sound?

Hmmm... is it posible to dampen the PLING in the anvil and not make the anvil more jumpy at the same time? :>

Reply to
Tomas Wilhelmsson

I've read about somebody using a sheet of lead under the anvil.

Tomas Wilhelmss> Hmmm... is it posible to dampen the PLING in the anvil and not make

Reply to
mrbonaparte

Easily done. Tie, bolt, clamp, fix, attach, whatever, your anvil to whatever you're using for a base, or simply attach a magnet under the heel - either method will greatly reduce an anvil's ring. If these methods are unpalatable, foam ear plugs are cheap and effective.

Reply to
Tom Stovall

I wrapped a whole bunch of chain around my anvil. Sort of worked. Then someone on this NG told me to put sheet lead under it. I tried that, wow, it worked a lot better. Plus, without all that chain my anvil looks better. In my area sheet lead is available at a large independent hardware store chain called McLendon's. You only need a square foot or so.

Grant

Tomas Wilhelmss> Hmmm... is it posible to dampen the PLING in the anvil and not make the

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks to all that answered, ive tried the magnet trick and it works gr8 ... just that it will maybe be in the way from time to time and i dont have a strong enough magnet to hold itself where i put it ;P

If i can get some lead (does it realy spell like that?) i will try that ... but how thick does it have to be ... just like a sheet metal or? :>

Thanks again and have a good day :>

Reply to
Tomas Wilhelmsson

Yes, sheet metal. Usually somewhat thicker than other sheet metals, as it's pretty weak and soft - should be available as a roof flashing material. And it is spelled that way in English, as are several other words which are pronounced differently and mean different things. It's not an especially rational language...

Chemical Symbol Pb

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I stuck mine to the stump with a layer of RTV Silicone.

It's a 232# Peter Wright that rang like a bell. now it sounds like a cheap cast iron anvil.

That's a good thing.

Reply to
Carl West

Drop a bolt in the pritchel hole.

Pete Stanaitis

Tomas Wilhelmss> Hmmm... is it posible to dampen the PLING in the anvil and not make the

Reply to
Pete & sheri