Hardening question

I've got to make a couple of rivet snaps, from 50mm dia EN36. I'm told they require hardening to 56 Rockwell (probably) to a depth of 100 thou.

As there isn't a heat treating outfit (that I know of) nearby, is this something I could try at home? They are for my own use, the only comeback if it doesn't work will be my own cursing.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Perhaps EN19 might have been a better choice as it's amenable to flame hardening whereas EN36 is a carburizing steel.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

EN36 was what I was told is usually specified for the job, so that's what I've ordered, though I take your point. If need be, I shall send them away for treatment, though I need to do some experimenting with the form of the snaps before committing to that.

Very irritating, having finally found a suitable riveting gun for my needs, it arrived today by courier, with the packaging burst & one of the two snaps supplied was missing :-( Can't just go to the corner ironmonger's shop & buy a new one!

My knowledge of these matters is very limited, hence my question. I've been Confined to Barracks today, and have spent quite a bit of time with books & the web trying to find what treatment is required etc, now have a bit more of an idea. Machinery's handbook does give treatment suggestions for plain carbon tool steel for this job, so I'm thinking I might do an experimental snap from some silver steel about

1" dia, which is big enough for the bore of the machine & the rivet heads, with a 50mm mild steel 'nose' shrunk or loctited around it. It might last long enough to establish the form I need & get stage 1 (about 50 rivets) done while the 'proper' snaps are being cooked. Stage 2 is about 500 rivets, stage 3 another 200 or so.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

Tim,

I have a small heat treatment furnace that's good for 1000 deg C, and I have a bit of Kasenit somewhere so so long as they are not longer than about 9" I could cook them for you if you wish and then harden the case in oil or water which ever you prefer.

However for case hardening you can usually get away with flame heating, dunking in kasenit (repeat a few time for a thick case) then dunk in your choosen cooling medium.

Presumeably you only want the working end hardened ?

Andrew Mawson

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I think it's usual to do the whole thing, but the two ends will probably do just as well. They're about 4" long. Thanks for the offer, I'll have a go myself but might take you up if it's not successful. I see that EN36 can be through hardened & tempered without carburising, which would be easier for me to do & might well be tough enough in practice. I've ordered enough for 3 snaps (1 spare) so I might give that a try first.

Many thanks

Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech