Help with electric motor

Picked up a 12 Volt 22 amp motor (ebay) motor works fine it is made by GEC, about 4 1/2 " dia and around 8 " long.

The motor is labeled as a compound mootor and has four (4) brushes, two are connected to the case and the other two to a common field winding.

If anyone knows the motor is it possible to reverse its direction. Normal reversal of the external contacts will still rotate the motor in the same direction as expected

TIA

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

You have to change the electrical relationship between the field and the armature to reverse the direction of rotation, Adrian.

You will have to change that field winding around if possible.

Prepair Ltd

Disconnect link from the one pair of brushes to field winding.

Link same field connection to the other pair of brushes.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

Hi Peter, I have two motors so time to play, Thanks.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Without major surgary to the assembly his may be difficult as one set of brushes are directly on case, but I will look in to it.

Although I wonder if it will make any difference. The brushes are at 90 degrees to each other and are connected case, field, case, field. the same result would be to rotate the brushes through 90 degrees with respect to the field winding, now that I could try.

Cheers adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

I know how. :

--

15632

156328's Profile:
this thread:
156328

Well, that's the answer, what was the question??

Peter

Peter A Forbes

That's the problem with these trunkated posts - we seem to be having a spate of them where people completely remove the context . . grouch grouch . . and a load of "top posting" as well if they do leave some context :(

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The original post was back in June 2004. It can safely be ignored by now. The way that web based access to newsgroups works does appear muck things up.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I must admit that I use the google groups interface exclusively, and I suspect those that top post and remove the context use this as well. This is easily remedied, as google offers 2 options for responding. If people just use the 'reply' link at the end of the post it will automatically remove the content, which I agree is quite frustrating.

However, if those people were to first click the 'show options' link beside the previous posters name, and THEN click the 'reply' link the original content will be restored into the response, and can be edited to suit. It is then just a matter of remembering the usenet etiquette and posting at the end of this. With apologies to those to whom this is the sucking eggs bit...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

It apparently took some time for him to find the answer as the original message was a year or so back.

Subject: Help with electric motor Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:45:35 +0100 Message-ID: Reply-To: snipped-for-privacy@spamtraptimewarpuk.net

On the other hand the original posters timewarp address may be working more effectively than they expected!!

Reply to
Peter Parry