Catwomen project (3 meter long remote controlled catamaran,twin engine etc)

New post to be more clear:

My project : Build a catamaran in wood/epoxy, two 35cc (or more) 4 stroke engines with some kind of datalink back to the remotecontrol

my main idea is to equip the boat with a small microatx motherboard, small harddisk, adapted wifiPCI and a couple of sensors.

1)this onboard computer would control with serial port or paralel port the servos i need to control the engine an will trigger a few other devices.

2)this onboard computer would be equiped with a webcam, ora maybe two, that will be transmitting a videostream over the wirelessnetwork

3)this onboard computer would have a gps connected to it on a serial port in order to be able of tracking and eventually navigate on waypoint in autonomous way

i will be needing a data link between the onboard computer and a laptop that i will use as remote control. my question is if it would be logic to use some kind of WiFi stuff... the only doubt i have is about the range. i would need a range not less then 300meter. how can i obtain such range mantaining at least a steady 1mbit data stream? (for a video feed and a remotedesktop connection)

will i have problem with interference from the engines or other parts?

i was suggested to use a directional wifiantenna for the laptop that would be pointing the boat to accieve a larger range... but what would be the best antenna to mount on the boat?

what kind of powersupply would you suggest. i would need 5 and 12 volt supply steady for the onboardcomputer...

i know it is a lot of questions, i hope the forum is the right one. im just looking for some answers or confirmation in order not to throw away to much money :-)

any suggestions is welcome and appreciated! have a nice evening an sorry for my bad english. matthias s

Reply to
Matthias Broersma