Cheap drill chuck

One of my other purchases at Ally Pally was a remarkably cheap 16 mm drill
chuck. At that price I did not expect any sort of quality but I was
surprised to find it runs fairly true and there is only a little bit of
binding when the jaws are half extended so it is infinitely better than the
one it replaces. The real problem with it was the key which engaged the
chuck teeth far too deep in places. I had to grind the flanks of the key
teeth and round off the tips before it would operate smoothly. It took a
couple of hours but at a cost of £7-50 I could not complain.
Cliff Coggin
Kent
UK
Reply to